Actress Terri J. Vaughn, most notably known for her adorably endearing role of Lovita Alizé Jenkins on “The Steve Harvey Show,” recently announced that she’s expecting her third child with fellow actor, Karon Joseph Riley!
The 44-year-old actress appeared on CocoaFab’s new web series, The Organized Home where she linked up with the show’s host, Denise Gordon to throw a party for her girlfriends to announce her pregnancy. “I feel so excited to be able to grow our family and bring another life into the world,” Terri gushed. “Mentally, physically and spiritually I feel grounded and ready to receive this blessing! I’m grateful to be chosen by God to be a mother,” Terri gushed. Terri and Karon have two boys, Daylen, 12 and Kal’El, 5 and can’t wait to welcome their new baby into their loving home this fall.
Terri joins a growing list of Hollywood women who have chosen to bear children at an older age; stars like Kim Fields, Halle Berry, Mariah Carey and Nia Long to name drop a few. Many high profile women who have become pregnant in their forties, especially after the age of 45, did so with the help of donor eggs. The pregnancy risk over 45 is also increased. In the unlikely event that a woman over 45 becomes pregnant with her own eggs, the pregnancy risk over 45 results in a miscarriage rate of at least 50 percent. After 45, experts say, it’s almost impossible to get pregnant using your own eggs. But if you ask me–nothing is impossible. Many 40-plus women do get pregnant (obvi); some use fertility treatments and others luckily don’t have to. Recent studies have shown there may be benefits to waiting to have children, for both you and your child.
No matter how old you are when you get pregnant, timing has both advantages and disadvantages. Check the pros and cons out below.
1. You have more than enough time to live your life without being tied down with the responsibilities of having to take care of a child. While it’s surely a rewarding experience, it can also be one of the most time-consuming things you’ll ever commit yourself to.
2. You have more time to learn and grow with your partner, creating a stronger bond between you before introducing a child into your union.
3. You’re more than likely more established in your career and you’ll be able to provide a better life for your child–at least financially.
1. It can be harder to get pregnant, the longer you wait to conceive.
2. There are more complications in older-aged pregnancies. In your 40s, you’re far more likely to develop problems like high blood pressure and diabetes during pregnancy. Women over 40 have a higher risk of delivering a low-birth-weight or preterm baby. Stillbirth rates are also higher, and studies show that children born to older mothers may be at increased risk of type 1 diabetes and high blood pressure.
3. Let’s not forget about your man! Men are physically capable of fathering children in their 60s and even their 70s, however, sperm quality deteriorates with age, and there’s a higher rate of genetic defects like Down Syndrome and schizophrenia than there is with the sperm of younger men.
Congrats to Terri & Karon! And in case you’re over 40 and want to get pregnant, just know–it’s not impossible!
Check Out This Gallery Of Hot Celeb Moms!
Hollywood's Hottest Moms Who Make It Look Easy
1. Taking Care Of Home & Still Fly!Source:Getty 1 of 39
2. Kerry WashingtonSource:Getty 2 of 39
3. MonicaSource:Getty 3 of 39
4. CiaraSource:Getty 4 of 39
5. Christina MilianSource:Getty 5 of 39
6. Eva MarcilleSource:Getty 6 of 39
7. BeyonceSource:Getty 7 of 39
8. Tamera Mowry-HousleySource:Getty 8 of 39
9. Tia Mowry-HardrictSource:Getty 9 of 39
10. Jill Scott10 of 39
11. Nia LongSource:Getty 11 of 39
12. Lisa BonetSource:Getty 12 of 39
13. Amber RoseSource:Getty 13 of 39
14. Kelly Rowland14 of 39
15. Mel B.Source:Getty 15 of 39
16. Angela BassettSource:Getty 16 of 39
17. Garcelle BeauvaisSource:Getty 17 of 39
18. Alicia KeysSource:Getty 18 of 39
19. Kimora Lee SimmonsSource:Getty 19 of 39
20. KelisSource:Getty 20 of 39
21. Erykah BaduSource:Getty 21 of 39
22. Gwen StefaniSource:Getty 22 of 39
23. Paula PattonSource:Getty 23 of 39
24. Taraji P. HensonSource:Getty 24 of 39
25. Jada Pinkett SmithSource:Getty 25 of 39
26. Lauryn HillSource:Getty 26 of 39
27. Jennifer HudsonSource:Getty 27 of 39
28. Lauren LondonSource:Getty 28 of 39
29. Jennifer LopezSource:Getty 29 of 39
30. Mariah CareySource:Getty 30 of 39
31. LaLa AnthonySource:Getty 31 of 39
32. Toni BraxtonSource:Getty 32 of 39
33. Evelyn LozadaSource:Getty 33 of 39
34. 'Lil KimSource:Getty 34 of 39
35. Solange KnowlesSource:Getty 35 of 39
36. Halle BerrySource:Getty 36 of 39
37. Tamar BraxtonSource:Getty 37 of 39
38. Kim Kardashian and Kris JennerSource:Getty 38 of 39
39. June AmbroseSource:Getty 39 of 39