Sonya Eskridge is a writer from Maryland, who started her news career in radio at the age of 17. After graduating from Virginia Tech, she went on to write for a national publication where she was able to mold her personal voice. Always looking for ways to inform on important issues--or share her love of nerdy and girly things—Sonya thoroughly enjoys writing about a wide range of subjects.
Scottish doctors made a surprising discovery when they found a sex toy that had been inside one of their patients for 10 years.
An unidentified 38-year-old woman went to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary complaining of severe health problems including extreme weight loss. STV News reports that she sought out medical help after contracting sepsis and experiencing incontinence.
Upon reviewing an x-ray of her abdominal area, doctors noticed a five-inch foreign object sticking into her bladder from her vagina. According to the Daily Mail, the patient recalled using a sex toy with a partner 10 years ago during a drunken night of passion. She couldn’t remember taking the toy out, however.
Surgeons were able to get the toy of the woman and repair the damage done by the long-forgotten toy. Unfortunately, as a result of having the object inside her for so long, the woman was diagnosed with vesicovaginal fistula; it’s an open channel between the vagina and the bladder or rectum that causes waste (in her case urine) to spill into the vagina. She was also diagnosed with obstructive uropathy, which is a condition where blockage in the bladder forces back into the kidneys.
While this woman’s circumstances are gut-wrenching, it should be a reminder to all that sex toy safety is important. Keeping that in mind, here are three things to remember when bringing a little something extra to bed for play time:
1. Size Matters
Scientific American suggests that while big toys may look like fun to play with, they can do a lot of damage. It might be best for men and women not to get too ambitious because “gargantuan” playthings can “tear delicate skin at the entrance to the vagina or anus, especially when enthusiastically inserted.” Ouch!
2. Don’t Be Afraid To Call For Help
It’s best to remove a sex toy right after you are done using it. However, should it get lodged in any part of your body (no judgment), you need to call a doctor ASAP-preferably a gynecologist. The same goes for situations where condoms or tampons get lost inside the vagina.
It’s not always a matter of simply yanking the object out. WebMD.com, states,”Removal of foreign objects, especially if large, should be left to a GYN. If needed, removal can involve day surgery or anesthesia.”
3. Clean Up Is Key
Softer (porous) sex toys can often be a breeding ground for bacteria, so DangerousLilly.com asserts, “Cleaning a sex toy properly is very important for your health and safety, as well as the longevity of your items.”
The blog also argues that partners should also be careful about what kind of toys they share. “You should only ever share sex toys that can be sanitized OR if not, sex toys that are covered in a condom” the author writes. “Non-porous sex toys are the only ones that can be safely shared (without the need for a condom barrier). ”
To help you out, Dangerous Lilly lists a number of methods to clean your toys here.