Even my three year old my son knows he want to own an ice cream shop when he grows up. I encourage him and listen to his ideas about running his own business, hiring a staff and ordering ice cream. Is your child interested in running a business? If so, here are 10 entrepreneurs your child should know because they exemplify determination and creativity.
1. In the 1930’s, Noah McVicker and Joseph McVicker invented a clay-like substance to clean wallpaper. Twenty years later Play-Doh was tested in kindergartens and preschools. Play-Doh is a household name now comes in variety of colors. Even though the McVickers didn’t intend to create a toy, their creativity sparked a huge business that’s lasted for decades.
2. Another accidental inventor is Frank Epperson who invented the Popsicle. He left a stirring stick and some soda water outside overnight when the temperature dipped to below freezing. The next morning Epperson woke up to find his frozen soda that’s now a summertime favorite around the world. Teach your kids that when they make a mistake or misstep, explore it and see where it leads.
3. The Slinky was also created by accident when a U.S. Navy Engineer noticed that a spring that dropped appeared to walk across the floor. Richard James’ wife came up with the name Slinky.
Never Too Young
4. By the age of 14, Farrah Gray was a self-made millionaire from selling body lotion and painted rocks door to door in Chicago. At 29, he’s an author with a publishing company and an honorary doctorate degree. (http://farrahgray.com/)
5. At the age of 9, Leanna Archer created a hair care company. By the time Leanna turned 15, she was the youngest person to open the NASDAQ and ring the opening bell. Her handmade hair products have sales of more than $100,000. (http://www.leannashair.com/)
6. Tyler Dickman was 15 when he started his company, Cooltronics. It provides online lesson on protecting your home computer from viruses. His net worth is almost $3 million dollars. (http://cooltronics.com/home.html)
7. Richard Bottner turned his homework into a business idea.
While he was attending Babson College, Bottner wrote a 10-page research paper on what students expected from internships. He realized he could expand the survey, then share it with the human resources industry. His company, InternBridge, expects to generate more than $100,000 by providing research and support to companies who’d like to work with interns. (http://www.internbridge.com/)
Richest kid entrepreneurs
8. 17 year old Nick D’Aloisio sold his mobile app Summly to Yahoo for $30 million dollars. Not bad for a kid who’s still in high school. (http://summly.com/)
9. Fraser Doherty is worth approximately two million dollars. The Scottish entrepreneur left high school to run his million-dollar jam making company, CEO Jam. (http://www.fraserdoherty.com/)
10. By the time Cameron Johnson sold the greeting card company he started when he was 11 years old, his net worth was more than one million dollars. “Cheers and Tears” started when his parents asked him to design their holiday cards. Johnson is now a serial entrepreneur who has appeared on Oprah. (http://www.cameronjohnson.com/his_companies.htm)
Comment below: Are your children interested in becoming their own boss or running a business? Do you think knowing about the entrepreneurs on this list with encourage them?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Joyce Brewer is an Emmy award-winning TV journalist who’s the creator/host of MommyTalkShow.com. The work at home wife and mom is also the author of Use What You Know: A Business Idea Guide for Moms. Joyce loves Starbucks café mochas, creating YouTube videos and catching a nap whenever she can.
Enter to win $100 gift cards weekly & a grand prize to our Town Hall Event in Atlanta!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Also On HelloBeautiful:
Celebs Tweet Their Thoughts About #JusticeForSandraBland
1. Jesse Williams
#SandraBland's treatment while attempting to travel freely on HER public roadways has been acknowledged as unlawful. She is already dead.
2. Taraji P. Henson
"SAY HER NAME #SandraBland"
3. Ava DuVernay
"'Why are you arresting me?' Because you know your rights. Because I can. Because no one'll believe you. #SandraBland"
4. Kim Kardashian
#WhatHappenedToSandraBland We need answers!!!! This is NOT ok! This is all shady! They need to own up to this & tell the truth!
5. Jussie Smollet
"A loss 4 words. #SandraBlandMatters #BlackLivesMatter 👈🏿tell me this should change once the nation shows that we do. "
6. Snoop Dogg
🙏🌹. Sandra. Rip. 🌹🌹
7. K. Michelle
R.I.P to this queen. This could've been any of us. My prayers go out to her family. #sandrabland https://instagram.com/p/5fvlO_AhCf/
8. Gabrielle Union
SAY HER NAME!!! #SandraBland #SandraBland #SandraBland #SayHerName
"We must get to the cause of #sandrabland death because this CANNOT happen again #deathorfreedom"
10. David Banner
"When will we fight back. A man's duty on earth is to protect women and children. Where are the gangsters? Preachers? We need you. Please."
11. Nicki Minaj
"Rest In Peace #SandraBland"
12. Talib Kweli
"We the people ask @LorettaLynch to investigate #SandraBland #KimberleeRandleKing RETWEET "
Signs. Signs. Signs all around us. The Message is Here. #SandraBland
14. Missy Elliot
"When I look at the #SandraBland traffic video it brings so many emotions😳😢😡😡😤!"
15. Jessie J
"God bless your soul Sandra | #sandrabland | Change needs to come |Justice needs to be served | Heart… https://instagram.com/p/5fV79mQ0aw/ "
16. Jackee Harry
"It's time y'all, it's time.." #SandraBland #BlackLivesMatter
"In memory of #SandraBland these things don't make no kinda sense "
18. Holly Robinson Peete
I really don't look forward to having ANOTHER difficult conversation w my kids tonight...but here we go again😧💔 #SandraBland #SayHerName 😢
19. Jeffrey White
Sadly, doesn't matter by whose hand she died. Unjustified arrested set the outcome in motion. The state murdered her. #JusticeForSandraBland
Sandra could have been your mother, sister, aunt, friend or if she wasn't killed the community outreach advisor A&M. #SandraBland
21. Joan Smalls
"My heart is broken. Sending my deepest condolence to her family and friends. May you find Strength, Peace and Justice. When will this stop? #EqualityForAll #RIP #Why #SayHerName
22. Gladys Knight
Sandra Bland.... #SayHerName #SandraBland
23. Cara Delevigne
Things need to change NOW #SANDRABLAND #Justice #Equality
24. Meek Mill
"Rip to that young lady that lost her life about a traffic stop! 🙏 ima make sure I pray for her and her family! 🙏😄😄😄"