Let me tell you all about getting engaged–you will quickly become a leper. Out of the four girlfriends of mine who are married in New York, three of them have become duds and rarely go out. I do, however, have one married friend who still participates in festive outings along with me and the rest of our single friends. Our outings are pretty tame and innocent. They consist of brunching, attending industry events or watching sporting events with our other friends.
However, I quickly noticed that the harmless head nods, smiles and innocent smiles (well what I once thought was innocent) from men all but shut completely down and is now dead to da bed (Funky Dineva voice). One of my married girlfriends informed me that there is a reversal of attention between men and women once rings come into play. She informed me that once her husband started wearing his ring after they got married, the attention he got from women (smiling, winking and speaking) increased exponentially. My friends is a secure woman in her marriage and she actually thinks that it’s cute that her husband gets all of this attention because after all, he still is married to her.
So after years and years of going out and being approached by men, if not for anything other than conversation while I am out with my girls, I started to notice that I have become that one chick left watching purses while my single girls are off doing their thing. Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I am going out perusing for male attention, because I have that at home, but I would be lying if I didn’t say it is a definite blow to the ego. I have had men make eye contact from across the room, start to walk over, they see my ring, shoot me a look like this, then turn on two feet and bounce!
I mean, I still desire human interaction, sheesh!
I have also held conversations with former colleagues, informed them I am engaged and they have said (true story), “Who let you get engaged? How are these dudes allowing women like you to get scooped up like that?” I guess he meant that as a compliment, but will never know as he quickly dismissed himself mid conversation.
What I have noticed is that this ring is like kryptonite. Women tend to think of engagement rings as pretty tokens of love or blinged out boastings of marital bliss-to-be when, in actuality, men give engagement rings to inform other men to keep their distance. It is like for an entire year, or however long you are engaged, you are in social purgatory. You are single-ish. You can only converse with the female species when you are out because men want nothing to do with a woman who in engaged. As I have told my friends time and time again, “This ring, though it is very pretty and I love it, is nothing but a means of men putting p$&&y in escrow.”
Can a sister get some conversation?
About the Author: She holds multiple degrees, is a natural born socialite, a business owner, an extreme exerciser of faith and a realist. After 3 years of dating and a year of being engaged, she is ready to tell the truth about what to expect when you are transitioning from being a single woman with no worries to a future wife. For the sake of these articles, let’s just call her Nina. After all, that was here “Club Name” for over 15 years….so yeah, introducing Nina.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery Of Our Fave Couples!
50 Pics Of Hollywood's Most Adorable Couples
1. 50 Pics Of Hollywood's Most Adorable Couples1 of 51
2. President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama2 of 51
3. President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama3 of 51
4. President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama4 of 51
5. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith5 of 51
6. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith6 of 51
7. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith7 of 51
8. Oprah Winfrey and Stedman Graham8 of 51
9. Oprah Winfrey and Stedman Graham9 of 51
10. Oprah Winfrey and Stedman Graham10 of 51
11. Beyonce and Jay-Z11 of 51
12. Beyonce and Jay-Z12 of 51
13. Beyonce and Jay-Z13 of 51
14. Denzel and Pauletta Washington14 of 51
15. Denzel and Pauletta Washington15 of 51
16. Denzel and Pauletta Washington16 of 51
17. Paula Patton and Robin Thicke17 of 51
18. Paula Patton and Robin Thicke18 of 51
19. Paula Patton and Robin Thicke19 of 51
20. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon20 of 51
21. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon21 of 51
22. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon22 of 51
23. Devon Franklin and Meagan Good23 of 51
24. Devon Franklin and Meagan Good24 of 51
25. Devon Franklin and Meagan Good25 of 51
26. Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz26 of 51
27. Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz27 of 51
28. Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz28 of 51
29. Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga29 of 51
30. Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga30 of 51
31. Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga31 of 51
32. John Legend and Chrissy Teigen32 of 51
33. John Legend and Chrissy Teigen33 of 51
34. John Legend and Chrissy Teigen34 of 51
35. Nicole Ari Parker and Boris Kodjoe35 of 51
36. Nicole Ari Parker and Boris Kodjoe36 of 51
37. Nicole Ari Parker and Boris Kodjoe37 of 51
38. Duane Martin and Tisha Campbell-Martin38 of 51
39. Duane Martin and Tisha Campbell-Martin39 of 51
40. Duane Martin and Tisha Campbell-Martin40 of 51
41. Chris Rock and Malaak Compton-Rock41 of 51
42. Chris Rock and Malaak Compton-Rock42 of 51
43. Chris Rock and Malaak Compton-Rock43 of 51
44. Keisha Whitaker and Forest Whitaker44 of 51
45. Keisha Whitaker and Forest Whitaker45 of 51
46. Tamar Braxton and Vince Herbert46 of 51
47. Tamar Braxton and Vince Herbert47 of 51
48. Tamar Braxton and Vince Herbert48 of 51
49. Carmelo and LaLa Anthony49 of 51
50. Carmelo and LaLa Anthony50 of 51
51. Carmelo and LaLa Anthony51 of 51