Gyms certainly aren’t for everyone. Outside the high membership fees, gyms can be either intimidating or simply not your idea of a fun way to get fit. So to that I say…no gym, no problem. Stand up all you DIY girls. You can build a gym right in your very own home. And guess what? You can build it on just about any budget. So no excuses. This year commit to get fit at the crib.
Use what you got to get what you want. (FREE) Gone are the days of having to drop cash in order to drop pounds.
(1) Recycle for Fitness. Next time you down a bottle of water don’t toss it…fill it. Jam anything you can manage into the spout. Pennies, sand, anything that can create some weight. Now use those DIY hand weights to do traditional strength training exercises; bicep curls, squats, overhead press etc. I see you EcoFit girl!
(2) Shake What Yo Momma Gave Ya. Any heart pumping activity that gets your heart rate going is considered cardio, so use those 206 body parts in a way that is F-R-E-E. My favorite cardio workout sans equipment is locking and loading my favorite booty shaking playlist, turning the volume up, and doing a 30 minute circuit of 30 jumping jacks, 30 high knees, and 1 minute of funky freestyle dancing. I do this circuit over and over until I am either out of breath from the butterfly or from laughing. Try it! So fun, so efficient, so free.
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook to stay on top of new fitness trends
(3) Surf the Web. And then there was the internet! On days when you have no energy, no motivation, and no time to workout, log on to your comp and let “www” work you out. There are so many workout videos on the internet you could do a different workout everyday for a whole year if you wanted! I love love Exercise.com and Workoutz.com…each have thousands of free videos available to stream 24/7. So Google that girl!
A Little Bit Can Go A Long Ways. The Basics. ($20-100) The sky is the limit once you own this minimal amount of equipment.
(1) Top Three Toning Tools. Three super cheap tools you need to tone up are, an exercise mat ($10-30), resistance bands ($8-12 each) and/or hand weights ($15-20 per set). Both the resistance bands and hand weights can be bought in either sets or separately. I always see both resistance bands and weights on the low low at TJMaxx, Ross, Marshall’s etc. No matter what, when shopping be sure to make your money last by buying a resistance level or amount pounds that are challenging but not unbearable; that way as your strength increases your equipment can grow with you. Basically don’t waste your dinero on 3lbs weights…opt for weights in the 5-8lb range.
(2) Jump To It. Take it back to the 3rd grade and snag yourself a jump rope ($8-15). Depending on intensity, jumping rope can burn 11-20 calories per minute…same as jogging for the same amount of time. Hello. Not into jumping rope, invest in a step ($30-75). It’s dual function is definitely worth it…use it for cardio drills or as a exercise bench.
(3) Red Carpet Ready. Name a celebrity that doesn’t have a fitness DVD out. Definitely a trend and a lot of them are actually worth the investment. Couple this with all the nations top fitness gurus pumping out DVD’s constantly and you can build yourself a serious library. However, I say borrow before you buy. There are tons of titles out there on Netflix, so rent away!
Worth The Splurge ($100-500+) Investments that are worth the return.
(1) Balancing Buddies. Makeover your workouts by throwing yourself of balance. Literally. Here are my two favorite pieces of equipments that challenge your balance and work your core in a major way. 1-Stability Ball ($12-40) Extremely versatile and super fun. Make sure to get the right size for your height and weight. 2-Bosu Trainer ($100-160) This is one of my faves for sure…provides a full-body workout and takes up very little space.
(2) Trendy Yet Top Notch. The hottest trend in the fitness world today is most definitely suspension training. Who knew gravity was such an awesome workout partner? So if you are bored with traditional exercising methods get ready to have your mind blown with the TRX Supension System ($160-200).
(3) Pays to Play. The marriage between Mrs. Fitness and Mr. Video Game is one lovely union. You can Yoga it out, Zumba away, or get buff Biggest Loser style with over thousands of games available for the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 ($150-400). Not all consoles are created equally so find out what system is best for you.
Listen to this workout playlist!
Also On HelloBeautiful:
Celebs Tweet Their Thoughts About #JusticeForSandraBland
1. Jesse Williams
#SandraBland's treatment while attempting to travel freely on HER public roadways has been acknowledged as unlawful. She is already dead.
2. Taraji P. Henson
"SAY HER NAME #SandraBland"
3. Ava DuVernay
"'Why are you arresting me?' Because you know your rights. Because I can. Because no one'll believe you. #SandraBland"
4. Kim Kardashian
#WhatHappenedToSandraBland We need answers!!!! This is NOT ok! This is all shady! They need to own up to this & tell the truth!
5. Jussie Smollet
"A loss 4 words. #SandraBlandMatters #BlackLivesMatter 👈🏿tell me this should change once the nation shows that we do. "
6. Snoop Dogg
🙏🌹. Sandra. Rip. 🌹🌹
7. K. Michelle
R.I.P to this queen. This could've been any of us. My prayers go out to her family. #sandrabland https://instagram.com/p/5fvlO_AhCf/
8. Gabrielle Union
SAY HER NAME!!! #SandraBland #SandraBland #SandraBland #SayHerName
"We must get to the cause of #sandrabland death because this CANNOT happen again #deathorfreedom"
10. David Banner
"When will we fight back. A man's duty on earth is to protect women and children. Where are the gangsters? Preachers? We need you. Please."
11. Nicki Minaj
"Rest In Peace #SandraBland"
12. Talib Kweli
"We the people ask @LorettaLynch to investigate #SandraBland #KimberleeRandleKing RETWEET "
Signs. Signs. Signs all around us. The Message is Here. #SandraBland
14. Missy Elliot
"When I look at the #SandraBland traffic video it brings so many emotions😳😢😡😡😤!"
15. Jessie J
"God bless your soul Sandra | #sandrabland | Change needs to come |Justice needs to be served | Heart… https://instagram.com/p/5fV79mQ0aw/ "
16. Jackee Harry
"It's time y'all, it's time.." #SandraBland #BlackLivesMatter
"In memory of #SandraBland these things don't make no kinda sense "
18. Holly Robinson Peete
I really don't look forward to having ANOTHER difficult conversation w my kids tonight...but here we go again😧💔 #SandraBland #SayHerName 😢
19. Jeffrey White
Sadly, doesn't matter by whose hand she died. Unjustified arrested set the outcome in motion. The state murdered her. #JusticeForSandraBland
Sandra could have been your mother, sister, aunt, friend or if she wasn't killed the community outreach advisor A&M. #SandraBland
21. Joan Smalls
"My heart is broken. Sending my deepest condolence to her family and friends. May you find Strength, Peace and Justice. When will this stop? #EqualityForAll #RIP #Why #SayHerName
22. Gladys Knight
Sandra Bland.... #SayHerName #SandraBland
23. Cara Delevigne
Things need to change NOW #SANDRABLAND #Justice #Equality
24. Meek Mill
"Rip to that young lady that lost her life about a traffic stop! 🙏 ima make sure I pray for her and her family! 🙏😄😄😄"