The decision to seek a second job or additional source of income to supplement a full time career can come about for many different reasons. Taking on another work opportunity may be procured to either further contribute monetarily to the exorbitant rent or mortgage payments required these days, put money aside for a college fund for your children, or just to have extra money for traveling or other interests that costs more than what your current job brings in.
No matter the reason additional employment is sought, About.com has provided an extensive list of second jobs to consider ranging from bartending to wedding planning. Some of the more popular second jobs included:
• Bartender – The average rate for a Bartender is $7.16 per hour.
• Blogger – A Blogger earns an average salary of $37,458 per year.
• Cashier– A Cashier earns an average wage of $8.27 per hour.
• Customer Service Representative – The average rate for a Customer Service Representative (CSR) is $12.68 per hour. A skill in Customer Relationship Management (CRM) is associated with high pay for this job.
• Dog Walker- A Dog Walker earns an average wage of $10.49 per hour.
• Event Planner – The average pay for an Event Planner is $43,918 per year. The skills that increase pay for this job the most are Contract Negotiation, Project Management, and Budget Management.
• House Cleaner – A Housecleaner earns an average wage of $14.93 per hour.
• Landscaper – The average wage for a Landscaper is $11.11 per hour.
• Lifeguard – The average wage for a Lifeguard is $8.76 per hour.
• Mediator – The average pay for a Mediator is $48,391 per year.
• Real Estate Agent – A Real Estate Agent earns an average salary of $43,026 per year.
• Restaurant Server – Tips are a big part of the typical paycheck for Restaurant Servers. On average, they amount to about $9.60 of the $17.33 per hour they typically pull down in an hour. Pay generally spreads from $2.17 per hour to $10.12. Most people in this field enjoy health coverage; around one third receive medical and dental insurance and 17 percent get vision insurance. Among folks in this role, job satisfaction levels approximately match the national average. This snapshot results from replies to PayScale’s salary survey.
• Retail Store Worker – The average rate for a Retail Sales Associate is $9.15 per hour.
• Security Guard – The average wage for a Security Guard is $10.26 per hour.
• Travel Agent – The average pay for a Travel Agent is $35,905 per year.
• Tutor – A Tutor earns an average wage of $16.94 per hour.
• Virtual Assistant – The average pay for a Virtual Assistant is $15.32 per hour. A skill in Microsoft Office is associated with high pay for this job.
• Wedding Photographer/Videographer – A Wedding Photographer earns an average salary of $36,300 per year.
• Wedding/Party Planner – The average wage for a Wedding Planner is $16.07 per hour.
*salaries provided by payscale.com
I decided years ago to never solely rely on one source of income. Due, in part, to the shaky economy, and also because I have numerous interests outside of the legal community, both my search and desire for new opportunities are always present. Before entertaining additional opportunities outside of your full time employment, be certain that there will be no conflicts of interests and/or infringements upon the time and resources required to be allocated to your first job.
Rashida Maples, Esq. is Founder and Managing Partner of J. Maples & Associates (www.jmaplesandassociates.com . She has practiced Entertainment, Real Estate and Small Business Law for 9 years, handling both transactional and litigation matters. Her clients include R&B Artists Bilal and Olivia, NFL Superstar Ray Lewis, Fashion Powerhouse Harlem’s Fashion Row and Hirschfeld Properties, LLC.
Check Out This Gallery Of Email Mistakes You Shouldn’t Make: