Martin Luther King Jr., one of the world’s most famous advocates of non-violent social change strategies was a true man of peace.
As we commemorate him on the 49th anniversary of his death, here’s some facts about his life that you may not know.
- According to the History.com, King’s birth name was actually Michael, not Martin. At age five, his father returned from a 1934 trip to Germany where he was inspired by Protestant Reformation leader Martin Luther and changed both he and his son’s name.
- Dr. King was a ride-or-die trekkie, and enjoyed watching the original “Star Trek” TV series. In an 2016 interview with The Guardian, “Star Trek” actress Nichelle Nichols said that once King approached her and expressed that “Star Trek” was the only show he allowed his children to watch.
- At age 10 King sang with his church choir at the 1939 Atlanta premiere of the movie Gone With The Wind, according to a reported piece by The Telegraph.
- There are about 900 streets named after Martin Luther King Jr. in the United States, including Puerto Rico, according to CNN.
- MLK enjoyed the arts and was supposedly an amazing dancer.
- He could allegedly shoot a basketball accurately with both hands.
These Realty TV Favorites Are Joining The Cast Of Zeus Network's 'Baddies East'
How To: Give It To Him Like You Mean It
Yo Gotti Showers Angela Simmons On Her Birthday, Angela Slays In Custom Caszé
Coi Leray Does The Big Chop And We're In Love
Jeezy Files For Divorce From Jeannie Mai After 2 Years Of Marriage
Angela Simmons Flexes In A Dior Bikini Surrounded By A Gorgeous Floral Arrangement Courtesy Of Yo Gotti
Bambi Celebrates Her Divorce From Lil Scrappy In A Sexy Little Black Dress
Teyana Taylor Announces Separation From Iman Shumpert After 7 Years Of Marriage: ‘We Are Still The Best Of Friends’