Three years after her divorce from The Dream, Christina Milian is opening up the highs and lows of co-parenting. During an appearance on “Good Morning America” today, the actress-singer said it’s important for both parents to “take a second and breathe.”
“I feel like I’m in a good place, then all the better to just put it out there and hope that it can help someone else” she said of raising her daughter Violet with a man who cheated on her. “We all figure it out. Sometimes, you just got to take it, take the lesson, and learn, and know that this happened for a reason.”
She went on to say that your focus should always be on the child. “Have the best intentions. Pray on it. I think that communication will save you half the drama. You know, it makes things so much easier,” she shared. “And I think I learned that.”
The 32-year-old beauty, who is engaged to recorder producer Jas Prince, added, “I think it’s very important to take your time when introducing a new person into your child’s life.”
“You want to make sure this is going to work out so you’re not introducing them to a new person over and over again because you never know who is going to be the one,” she explained. “My motivation at the end of the day was making sure that my daughter had two parents that were in her life consistently, She’s a really smart girl and I think she has a healthy understanding of knowing that mommy and daddy are no longer together but we both love her.”
1. Communication is key. Truly work on trying to figure out a schedule that works for the two of you. Try to stick with it and if changes need to be made then talk to your partner. You can’t read each other’s mind. This will save you from a huge headache. Being combative or always on the defense is not going to help at all. So, try to chill out and be neutral and understanding of each other’s time. Your kids are not objects. Don’t use them to hurt one another or complicate each other’s lives. If you can make the change then great! If not, then be clear and communicate that and if anything find a way to be helpful in making the adjustment easier for the both of you. I know too many people in this situation who use their kids as a tool to get back at or frustrate their ex. And for what? Only to dislike each other more.
2. You don’t have to be estranged in order to prove you’re now divorced. It’s healthy for your kids to see their parents in the same setting. Granted you’re not technically together but you don’t have to pretend you hate each other. Kids are smart and they also have a beautiful heart. These moments can be very much what they need to fill that void of the ideal family. I think they will cherish these moments in the long run and will be helpful in their growth mentally.
3. If you don’t get along, don’t express your frustrations in front of your kids. No matter what age your child/children are they understand EVERYTHING!! LOL! I swear they do! LOL.. So don’t stress them out with your issues. Not only do they understand what’s going on, they remember everything. So if you’ve got a problem save the drama or catty gossip with your friends for another time when your kids are not around. It’s not healthy for them to hear it.
Check Out This Gallery
1. 4 & Fabulous!
"Life is but a dream... #VioletsBdayBash at @thelosangeleszoo Photoby: @smile_xxvii in #LifeAndStyle 3/20"
2. CAKE CAKE CAKE
"Gave Violet a Birthday Party she'll never forget! Thanks to @TheLosAngelesZoo 4 being so accommodating & my friends and ALL of Violets friends for coming. We had a blast! Check out the pics in this coming issue of Life And Style. #intouch #TheLAZoo"
3. Hair Did!
"Special thanks to @bigbossdoll for flying in to LA just to do my babies hair for her Bday Party. She loves it! U have magic hands!"
4. Happy Birthday, Dear...Violetttttt!
"Happy Birthday Violet!!! 🎁🎉🎈"
5. Amber Rose's Baby Bash Isn't Here For This
"Lol Bash damn near fell outta my arms he didn't wanna take this pic at all! Hey Tamar hey Logan!"
6. Kids On Kids On Kids
"So much going on in this picture! I've never seen Logan make that face😂😂and @stellabulochnikov & I is giving major "shade" @christinamilian is being a supermodel💃the kids are having a BLAST and Vince looks😴! #goodtimesanyway😘😘😘"
7. Tiny's Here!
"@majorgirl is back in my city and we are ready to #twerk it out !! @lexypanterra 👊👊👊💋💋💋💋 #twerkout #familyhustle #violetsfabulousfour #funfearlessfemales @sashabrooklynsushi @lishy118"
8. #TurnUp For Violet!
"#happybdayviolet!! #turnup 💃💃💃🎉🎉🎉💃💃💃💋💋💋#violetsfabulousfour @lishy118 @sashabrooklynsushi @christinamilian 🎉🎉🎉💃💃💃🎁🎁🎁💋💋💋💋💋 #fun #fearless #fabulous #females #nextgeneration"
9. Producer, Stella Bulochikov With Tamar & Logan
"@tamarbraxtonher has great taste in #shades 😉😉😉 this baby tho #delicioussssssss 💋💋💋💋💋 #tomford #fierce #fabulous#fashionable #females #violetsfabulousfour"
10. Violet's Holding On For Dear Life
"@christinamilian knows how to throw a #party #happybdayviolet we looooove you baby #fourandfabulous 💋💋💋🎉🎉🎉🎉🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎁🎁🎁 @lishy118 @sashabrooklynsushi 🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎶🎈🎉 @bigbillyclark #alwaysagoodtime"
11. Arty Party!
Karrueche Tran's niece gets her face painted and a caricature! "Munchkin and Auntie"
12. Karrueche Loves The Kids!
"Rooch love the kids"
13. Nails Did!
"we got our nails done today .. my sis is gonna kill me @tbourne 🙊"
14. Going On Tour?
15. Face Painted With Auntie Karrueche!
"Face paint shawty"
16. Ok, Karrueche's Niece Is Adorable!
Don't feed the animals!
Christina with Violet and Karrueche Tran, with her niece celebrating Violet's big 4!