4 Cups Frisée, Torn Into Small Pieces
1 Cup Kale, Torn Into Small Pieces
1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano, Finely Chopped
1/3 Cup Unsalted and Shelled Pistachios, Roughly Chopped
4 Slices Pumpernickel Bread, Cut Into ¼ Inch Cubes
2 Medium Red Beets
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
4 Ounces Goat Cheese
1. Cut the root end off the head of frisée, then tear the frisée into small pieces to measure the indicated amount. Place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Separate the leaves of kale from the stems and tear into very small pieces to measure the indicated amount. Discard the stems. Add the kale to the bowl of frisée. Soak the greens in cold water.
3. Pick oregano leaves off the stems and finely chop to measure the indicated amount. Place in a large mixing bowl.
4. Roughly chop the pistachios to measure the indicated amount. Add to the oregano.
5. Cut the slices of pumpernickel bread into 1/4 inch cubes. Scatter on a sheet pan.
6. If you purchased beets with the greens attached, cut the stems off just above the root of the beet and discard. Wash beets under cold water to remove any dirt. Pat dry with paper towels, then wrap in aluminum foil. Place in an 8″x8″ baking dish.
7. Lift the greens out of the water and dry thoroughly. If there was a lot of grit left in the bowl, repeat the soaking process until water is clean. Place greens in the bowl with the oregano and pistachios.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place beets in the preheated oven. Bake until they pierce easily with a fork, about 45-55 minutes.
3. After you remove beets from the oven, let them cool slightly so they are easier to handle.
4. Preheat the broiler on high.
5. Drizzle the pumpernickel cubes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly, then arrange in a single layer on the sheet pan.
6. Place the pumpernickel croutons in the broiler. Toast until crispy, about 3-5 minutes.
7. Once croutons are crispy, let them cool on the sheet pan for a few minutes.
8. Once beets are easy to handle but still slightly warm, use hands to peel off the skin. Start at the root end and push away the skin. Wear gloves to prevent staining your hands. Skin will peel easily if beets were cooked long enough and still slightly warm.
9. After you’ve peeled the beets, cut off both ends, then cut the beets in half and slice thinly. Add to the bowl of greens.
10. Drizzle the white balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the beets and greens. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
11. Add the croutons and goat cheese to the bowl of beets and greens.
12. Toss all the salad ingredients together, then scoop some of the beet and frisée salad onto each dinner plate or into a large serving bowl. Ready to eat!
Cooking Planit is a website and mobile app that provides you with step-by-step instructions to create full meals with every dish ready to serve at the same time. Essentially a “GPS for the kitchen,” the app also provides options to filter recipes by main ingredient, occasion and dietary restriction. Each of the 600 chef-tested recipes displays a full list of ingredients and necessary cooking utensils, enabling everyone– from the experienced to the curious – to discover new flavors with minimal fuss and maximum success.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!