After you have graduated from college, graduate or post graduate studies, one thing changes tremendously and that is your previous access to two free weeks of doing absolutely nothing (i.e- Christmas Break). Those glorious two weeks of being able to lay back on your mother’s couch, eat all the food in the house and catch up with old High School friends are just about non-existent once you become a part of the working community, especially entry level working community.
Most of my 30-something friends now opt which holiday they will take time off of work for and which one they will stay put for. With Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s being so close together, it is hard for most people to take so much time off to be with their loved ones. Though your two weeks may have dwindled to two days off, here are a few tips to negotiate time off from work when it is absolutely necessary for you, your family and your well-being to be intact.
1) Plan Ahead: As always, you must plan in advance if you would like to vie for time off during the holidays. This includes wrapping up projects prior to the end of the year and putting in your requests far in advance with your Human Resource department. Most newly hired employees are low on the totem pole when it comes to taking additional time off other than the standard days given by the employer to every employee. However, as you continue to climb the ranks within your company, the more likely you are to getting the actual days off that you desire.
2) Save / Purchase in Advance: There is nothing more frustrating than waiting until the last minute to get your plane ticket for the holidays and it is literally the price of a small island off of the coast of Fraggle Rock. Equally as frustrating, is not having enough money to even pay for a ticket, so now you have to drive 10 hours for Christmas dinner, only to have to turn back around the next day because you don’t have any time off. Save up your money for the holiday you desire and be certain to purchase all travel far in advance to effectively search for deals.
3) Be Accommodating: A lot of negotiating amongst employees goes on when it comes to planning who will take off and on what days, especially for physicians and those working within smaller companies. A dear friend who works as an emergency room doctor is always negotiating with fellow doctors in re swapping work dates, especially during the holidays. If this is an option for you within your working capabilities, see what you can negotiate and be accommodating to other co-workers during times they need to take time off. They will in turn return the favor to you. Additionally, if you are in a significant relationship, you will soon face the daunting task of determining whose family you will be visiting with during that particular holiday. The further in advance this is discussed, the easier it will be for you to put in request for time off if you have to travel to Jamaica for Christmas.
Follow HelloBeautiful On Twitter!
4) Finish Projects Ahead of Time: Manage your time effectively and be certain you finish all tasks prior to taking time off and/or asking for time off. You are less likely to receive any grief from your boss or supervisor if all of your work is completed or at least properly managed before you leave.
5) Get a Sitter: For your dog, your plants, your home, etc. You want to make certain that you have all of your personal issues taken care of before you set out for the holiday. The less clutter and disarray you leave your home and house in, the better it will be to get back into the swing of things once you return.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!
More Tips For The Working Woman:
Rashida Maples, Esq. is Founder and Managing Partner of J. Maples & Associates (www.jmaplesandassociates.com). She has practiced Entertainment, Real Estate and Small Business Law for 9 years, handling both transactional and litigation matters. Her clients include R&B Artists Bilal and Olivia, NFL Superstar Ray Lewis, Fashion Powerhouse Harlem’s Fashion Row and Hirschfeld Properties, LLC.
Also On HelloBeautiful:
Celebs Tweet Their Thoughts About #JusticeForSandraBland
1. Jesse Williams
#SandraBland's treatment while attempting to travel freely on HER public roadways has been acknowledged as unlawful. She is already dead.
2. Taraji P. Henson
"SAY HER NAME #SandraBland"
3. Ava DuVernay
"'Why are you arresting me?' Because you know your rights. Because I can. Because no one'll believe you. #SandraBland"
4. Kim Kardashian
#WhatHappenedToSandraBland We need answers!!!! This is NOT ok! This is all shady! They need to own up to this & tell the truth!
5. Jussie Smollet
"A loss 4 words. #SandraBlandMatters #BlackLivesMatter 👈🏿tell me this should change once the nation shows that we do. "
6. Snoop Dogg
🙏🌹. Sandra. Rip. 🌹🌹
7. K. Michelle
R.I.P to this queen. This could've been any of us. My prayers go out to her family. #sandrabland https://instagram.com/p/5fvlO_AhCf/
8. Gabrielle Union
SAY HER NAME!!! #SandraBland #SandraBland #SandraBland #SayHerName
"We must get to the cause of #sandrabland death because this CANNOT happen again #deathorfreedom"
10. David Banner
"When will we fight back. A man's duty on earth is to protect women and children. Where are the gangsters? Preachers? We need you. Please."
11. Nicki Minaj
"Rest In Peace #SandraBland"
12. Talib Kweli
"We the people ask @LorettaLynch to investigate #SandraBland #KimberleeRandleKing RETWEET "
Signs. Signs. Signs all around us. The Message is Here. #SandraBland
14. Missy Elliot
"When I look at the #SandraBland traffic video it brings so many emotions😳😢😡😡😤!"
15. Jessie J
"God bless your soul Sandra | #sandrabland | Change needs to come |Justice needs to be served | Heart… https://instagram.com/p/5fV79mQ0aw/ "
16. Jackee Harry
"It's time y'all, it's time.." #SandraBland #BlackLivesMatter
"In memory of #SandraBland these things don't make no kinda sense "
18. Holly Robinson Peete
I really don't look forward to having ANOTHER difficult conversation w my kids tonight...but here we go again😧💔 #SandraBland #SayHerName 😢
19. Jeffrey White
Sadly, doesn't matter by whose hand she died. Unjustified arrested set the outcome in motion. The state murdered her. #JusticeForSandraBland
Sandra could have been your mother, sister, aunt, friend or if she wasn't killed the community outreach advisor A&M. #SandraBland
21. Joan Smalls
"My heart is broken. Sending my deepest condolence to her family and friends. May you find Strength, Peace and Justice. When will this stop? #EqualityForAll #RIP #Why #SayHerName
22. Gladys Knight
Sandra Bland.... #SayHerName #SandraBland
23. Cara Delevigne
Things need to change NOW #SANDRABLAND #Justice #Equality
24. Meek Mill
"Rip to that young lady that lost her life about a traffic stop! 🙏 ima make sure I pray for her and her family! 🙏😄😄😄"