Ever wonder what is the key to creamy soup without the cream? Fat-free milk and yogurt! Once you’ve mastered this recipe, mix it up with chicken breast or swap out the shrimp with another type of seafood.
Prep Time: 20 min
Start to Finish: 45 min
Makes: 4 servings
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 cup finely chopped green and/or red sweet pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 package (12 oz) Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers® frozen Niblets® Corn
1 cup Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 cups fat-free milk
8 ounces peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp, thawed and drained if frozen, and halved, if desired
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup Yoplait® fat free plain yogurt
Fresh cilantro sprigs
1. In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet pepper and onion; cook about 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add curry powder, salt, and pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute.
2. Stir in corn and chicken broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until corn is tender. Cool about 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the corn mixture to a blender or food processor.* Add 1/2 cup of the milk. Cover and blend or process until mixture is nearly smooth. Return pureed mixture to saucepan; stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk and the shrimp. Heat through (do not boil). Stir in snipped cilantro.
4. To serve, spoon soup into soup bowls. Top individual servings with yogurt and cilantro sprigs.
5. *Note: If using a food processor, process half the mixture at a time using 1/4 cup of the milk with each half.