We caught up with designer LaQuan Smith at his presentation Monday afternoon at Hudson Hotel’s Penthouse. Smith, who debuted his collection in February 2010, has built quite the name for himself. He’s worked with celebrities like Beyonce, Rihanna, and Alicia Keys. He’s also caught the eye of Vogue’s André Leon Talley. And he’s just 24. During the presentation, Smith talked us through his collection. Check out our interview.
What was the inspiration for Fall 2013? How were you feeling?
I was feeling very sexy, very feminine this season. I was feeling very modern. I wanted to keep things a little bit hard and soft, a hard and soft balance. I used a lot of white and black. Red is the only color in the collection. I’m really inspired by James Bond, the Bond Girls, knowing that they embody so many different personalities. It was that really cool balance. You think of a Strangé from Boomerang and then you think of someone as sophisticated and classy as Robin Givens; who also played in Boomerang and was part of my inspiration. At the same time, in Boomerang, Halle Berry and Grace Jones were Bond Girls, so I just had to connect those two different elements together. The element of using fur, keeping things very lux, it’s a very luxurious collection. I used a lot of leather, a lot of fur, a lot of pony fur, a lot of PVC, a lot of lace, a lot of wool- rich, rich wool. And you know, on any day of the week it’s easy for you to slip on a little pencil skirt, be ready for work, and still meet your girls for a cocktail at night. I wanted to do that and give you those separates and so I’m really happy with what I did.
So in three words, what qualities does your LaQuan Smith girl possess?
Luxury, Quality and Sensuality.
What is your design process? What’s your scenery like?
It can be crazy. It can be hectic. I have probably, like Rick Ross in the background, Lil Kim playing. I may even have Grace Jones with a little Sadé. My friends are helping me out. My team, we’re just sewing and we’re getting it done. We’re pulling inspiration and I like that creative synergy.
Check out the LaQuan Smith fall 2013 collection in the gallery below:
1. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection1 of 25
2. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection2 of 25
3. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection3 of 25
4. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection4 of 25
5. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection5 of 25
6. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection6 of 25
7. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection7 of 25
8. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection8 of 25
9. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection9 of 25
10. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection10 of 25
11. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection11 of 25
12. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection12 of 25
13. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection13 of 25
14. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection14 of 25
15. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection15 of 25
16. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection16 of 25
17. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection17 of 25
18. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection18 of 25
19. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection19 of 25
20. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection20 of 25
21. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection21 of 25
22. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection22 of 25
23. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection23 of 25
24. LaQuan Smith Fall 2013 Collection24 of 25
25. laquan-smith-fall-2013-collection-2525 of 25
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook To Keep Up With The Latest Fashion Week Trends!
MORE ON NEW YORK FASHION WEEK: