• Renewing a 10-round limit on the size of ammunition magazines.
• Prohibiting the possession, transfer, manufacture and import of dangerous armor-piercing bullets.
• Senate confirmation of a director for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The agency has been run by an acting director, Todd Jones, whom Obama will nominate to become director.
• New gun trafficking laws penalizing people who help criminals get guns.
Items to Be Accomplished by Executive Order
• Address legal barriers in health laws that bar some states from making available information about people who are prohibited from having guns.
• Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
• Make sure that federal agencies share relevant information with the background check system.
• Direct the attorney general to work with other agencies to review existing laws to make sure they can identify individuals who shouldn’t have access to guns.
• Direct the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other research agencies to conduct research into the causes and prevention of gun violence.