Source: Paras Griffin/BET / Getty
Three time Grammy-Award winner Jill Scott has officially split from her husband of 15 months, according to BOSSIP.
The soul singer filed divorce papers on September 15, citing “irreconcilable differences,” and “inappropriate marital conduct that such further cohabitation would be unsafe and improper,” according to the outlet.
Scott, 45, married Mike Dobson, 49, in a June 2016 secret ceremony much to the surprise of her fans and supporters.
The grounds listed in Scott’s divorce petition could range anywhere from meaning cruel treatment, infidelity, verbal or physical abuse or sexual impropriety, according to Tennessee law, where the couple exchanged their vows.
Dobson, who spoke to BOSSIP, maintains none of the above happened in their relationship. He told the outlet that he was “blindsided” by the news, even though court documents listed the couple’s separation date as September 5.
“She’s an evil woman,” Dobson said in the interview. “I’m telling you. It’s like what Jill Scott wants, Jill Scott gets. People are in her ear, and if someone comes in to challenge the dumb s**t, they made me be the bad guy and that got me outta there.”
Dobson also said that the couple decided to live separately while they worked on their marriage, agreeing to continue wearing their wedding rings.
“She’s got issues. There’s no men in that family, there’s only women. And when a man comes in, it’s like a challenge,” he continued.
On the divorce petition, Scott listed her occupation as a writer and PhD student, marking Dobson as unemployed. He told BOSSIP that Scott tried to smear his name by doing so, saying he’s maintained a job with the city of Atlanta since 2011. She also asked the court to enforce an existing prenup agreement between the couple.
Dobson also warned that he’s geared up to fight dirty.
“She likes to emasculate men – that’s her problem,” he said. “I told her, she’s from Philly, but I’m from New York, and if you want to try to disgrace me, try to slander me, I can fight dirty.”
This is Scott’s second divorce. She was previously married to Lyzell Williams from 2001-2007. She shares an eight-year-old son named Jett from her previous relationship with drummer John Roberts. Scott and Dobson have no children together.
Trailer Drops For Lifetime’s Flint Water Crisis Film With Queen Latifah And Jill Scott
Jill Scott Shares Her Harvey Weinstein Story: ‘He Was So Nasty And So Rude’
Style Stalking: See Jill Scott's Best Looks
44 photos Launch gallery
1. Style Stalking: 43 & Fabulous, See Jill Scott's Best Looks
1 of 44
2. Jill Scott attends the 2015 Black Girls Rock Awards Show
Source:Getty Images/Gilbert Carrasquillo
2 of 44
3. Jill Scott attends the 4th annual ESSENCE Black Women In Music event
3 of 44
4. Jill Scott attends the HBO after party at the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards
4 of 44
5. Jill Scott attends the Hollywood Reporter's 21st annual Women In Entertainment breakfast
5 of 44
6. Jill Scott attends Lifetime's Steel Magnolias Premiere Event
6 of 44
7. Jill Scott arrives at Clive Davis and The Recording Academy's 2013 Pre-GRAMMY Gala
7 of 44
8. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2013 Delete Blood Cancer Gala
8 of 44
9. Jill Scott attends the Roc Nation Pre-GRAMMY Brunch
9 of 44
10. Jill Scott arrives at the 43rd NAACP Image Awards
10 of 44
11. Jill Scott attends BET Honors 2012
11 of 44
12. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at 2011 VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul
12 of 44
13. Jill Scott attends the 5th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon
13 of 44
14. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2nd Annual Mary J. Blige Honors Concert
14 of 44
15. Jill Scott attends the premiere of "Why Did I Get Married Too?"
15 of 44
16. Jill Scott poses for a portrait during the 41st NAACP Image Awards
16 of 44
17. Jill Scott attends the premiere of Fox Searchlight Pictures' "Baggage Claim"
17 of 44
18. Jill Scott is all smiles at the 17th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival
18 of 44
19. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 6th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Awards Luncheon
19 of 44
20. Jill Scott arrives at the 4th Annual ASCAP Rhythm and Soul Grammy Brunch
20 of 44
21. Jill Scott visits BET's "106 and Park"
21 of 44
22. Jill Scott arrives at VH1's "VH1 Storytellers Presents: Jill Scott Live" After Party
22 of 44
23. Jill Scott poses in costume in the press room at the 43rd annual NAACP Image Awards
23 of 44
24. Jill Scott arrives at the 2011 Black Girls Rock! Awards
24 of 44
25. Jill Scott attends the Grey Goose Presents The Jill Scott Experience Pre-BET Awards Party
25 of 44
26. Jill Scott arrives at the Sony/BMG Music Entertainment 2005 After GRAMMY Awards Party
26 of 44
27. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 2011 BET Awards
27 of 44
28. Jill Scott is spotted in New York City
28 of 44
29. Jill Scott attends the 8th Annual Soul Train "Lady Of Soul" Awards
29 of 44
30. Jill Scott arrives at the 4th Annual ESSENCE Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon
30 of 44
31. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 5th Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards
31 of 44
32. Jill Scott arrives at the 2010 Essence Music Festival
32 of 44
33. Jill Scott arrives at the 41st NAACP Image Awards
33 of 44
34. Jill Scott poses in the press room at the 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards
34 of 44
35. Jill Scott attends Debra Lee's 2008 BET Awards Dinner
35 of 44
36. Jill Scott arrives at the 2nd Annual Shortlist Music Awards Concert
36 of 44
37. Jill Scott walks the red carpet at the 45th Annual GRAMMY Awards
37 of 44
38. Jill Scott hosts the "Real Thing" Cocktail Reception
38 of 44
39. Jill Scott attends the "Why Did I Get Married?" Screening
39 of 44
40. Jill Scott arrives at Lionsgate's Premiere Of "Why Did I Get Married?"
40 of 44
41. Jill Scott attends "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" New York City Premiere
41 of 44
42. Jill Scott poses at a Barnes and Noble in-store appearance
42 of 44
43. Jill Scott attends the inaugural Grammy Jam Fest
43 of 44
44. Jill Scott arrives at the 16th Annual Essence Awards
44 of 44