Singer Justine Skye took to the 13th Annual CFDA/Vogue Fashion Awards with uber cool tresses done by Derick Monroe. Justine’s hair was purple with the air of old Hollywood. This is a great example of mixing modern and vintage style for a super fab look! Derick Monroe spoke with Hello Beautiful and dished why old Hollywood hairstyles are so timeless.
“The icons that inspire these looks such as Lena Horne, Dorothy Dandridge and Marilyn Monroe. At the time women took special attention to detail. It was all about ladies being extra feminine.” ~ Derick Monroe
Channeling these muses to recreate these looks are more than just for some glam. Derick continues, “When a woman styles her hair similarly today, I believe she wants to pay homage to the feeling you got when you saw certain celebrities that inspired you.”
This look is perfect for gala’s, cocktail parties, and all the fun parties and events you will attend during the holiday season. It’s also great for a dressed up date night or according to Derick, “any woman that wants to feel glamourous.” Add bold makeup to up the glam factor!
- Make sure your hair is freshly washed and conditioned. You don’t want product build up and the curls will set better!
- Derick blow dried Justine’s hair using a paddle brush to create maximum volume.
- Section the hair in small parts and use a medium one-inch curling iron to create small curls at the end of the hair. Do not curl all the hair, leave the roots straight!
- Derick created a deep side part and then used Dark and Lovely Length Retention Tame and Strengthen Edge Tamer to keep the hair laid and prevent fly-aways. He curled in the direction away from Justine’s face.
- Once finished curling the hair, Derick brushed out the curls with a Mason Peason brush to add volume and turn the curls into waves. To further secure the hair, he pinned some behind her ears.
- Finish the look with Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Anti-Shrinkage Sheen Sealing Nectar to add shine as well as condition the hair and scalp!
Have shorter hair? Derick shared some tweaks. “I suggest finger waves or pin curls as a perfect alternative to Hollywood glam style for those with shorter hair.”