Shanice Clark, a senior at the California University of Pennsylvania was found unresponsive in her room on Sunday at 3 a.m. and was pronounced dead an hour later. Police believe that her death was an accident, caused by a piece of gum lodged in her throat.
Blood tests and an autopsy are pending and Clark’s death is still being investigated. It’s being reported that the coroner didn’t immediately release the results, police say medical personnel indicated Clark aspirated the chewing gum while sleeping. The 21-year-old Ontario, Canada native was a forward on the school’s Vulcans basketball team. University officials said they were “deeply saddened” by the death of the beautiful 6-foot baller, who was redshirting after playing two dozen games for the Vulcans last season.