Myeisha Essex is in love with all things pop culture, thanks in large part to her hometown. This Los Angeles native has an encyclopedic knowledge of the entertainment industry and she loves a good trivia game. She received her bachelor’s degree in journalism and media studies from Bennett College for Women and her master's from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. Her work can be found in Sister 2 Sister, Harlem World Magazine, Clutch and on Essence.com. When she's not keeping up with the news or learning Beyonce's latest dance moves, she enjoys watching stand-up comedy on YouTube! Follow her on Instagram @more_about_me
Beyoncé’s new album may have gone platinum in less than a week, but according to reports fans also illegally downloaded the self-titled project nearly a quarter of a million times during the same time span.
According to Billboard, the pirated copies would have earned Bey another $3.8 million in sales — that is if each person who illegally downloaded the album bought a $15.99 copy.
“As of Dec. 18, Beyoncé’s entire music catalog was shared more than 2 million times over file sharing sites that leverage the BitTorrent download protocol during 2013 — 239,131 of those were shares of her new self-titled album,” according to music data analyst Musicmetric.
Although $3.8 million is a big loss, Musicmetric’s chief executive Gregory Mead said the news is not all bad.
“The usefulness of BitTorrent data is that it allows record labels to have an incredibly detailed insight into where their artists are popular – right down to the town,” he told Billboard. “Although the file-sharing numbers may be high, it will be possible to translate many of these into buyers.”
12. April: Kicks Off The Epic "The Mrs. Carter World Tour"
12 of 30
13. April: Pepsi Max Unveils Global Beyonce Campaign
13 of 30
14. April: H&M Launches Swimsuit Campaign
14 of 30
15. May: Anniversary Trip to Cuba
15 of 30
16. May: One Glass of Wine Shuts Down All Rumors
16 of 30
17. May: Met Gala
17 of 30
18. May: Beyonce Cover British Vogue
18 of 30
19. June: Headlines 'Chime For Change'
19 of 30
20. August: Shatters Instagram With Short 'Do
20 of 30
21. August: Pixie Cut Turns Into A Blunt Bob At V Festival
21 of 30
22. August: Budweiser Made In America Festival Benefiting The United Way
22 of 30
23. September: Watch The Throne! Jay & Bey Top Forbes' Richest Couple List
23 of 30
24. October: The Photobomb That Really Wasn't
24 of 30
25. November: The Quiet Before The Storm
25 of 30
26. December: Bey Ousts Kim As Bings' Most Searched Celeb
26 of 30
27. December: Beyoncé
27 of 30
28. December: Bey Shops It Up At Walmart, Clearly Ignores Target
28 of 30
29. December: Bey Attends Her Visual Album Screening
29 of 30
Continue reading Beyonce’s New Album Illegally Downloaded 240,000 Times, Loses Over $3.8 Million
BOW DOWN: 2013 Was The Year Of Beyonce
Did you know HelloBeautiful is on Instagram? Follow us!
Follow HelloBeautiful On Twitter!
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook to stay on top of your favorite black celebrities:
[ione_facebook_like_box url_segment=hellobeautifulofficial height="260"]