Jurnee Smollet has come a long way from being Michelle Tanner’s bestie. The childhood star is officially all grown-up and is sizzling on the big screen. She returns to TV on HBO’s acclaimed series, “True Blood.”
a + Magazine recently caught up with the 26-year-old superstar and she dished on how she keeps her tresses looking uber-fly, the most challenging part of her character on ‘True Blood”, and how she really feels about being a child star.
On the challenges of her new role:
It’s interesting. There’s definitely a level of vulnerability with this character because she starts strong with this desire to be a part of something and then she realizes that it’s nothing she wanted to be a part of at all. In the world of “True Blood” you’re always trying to maintain that level of truth in the fantastical element. That was the challenge for me.
On growing up famous:
I wasn’t forced to act. And I wasn’t like a famous child star, I just constantly worked. Early on my mom got me more involved with the activist-actor community like Alfre Woodward and Sam Jackson. They helped me stay grounded and I realized I wanted to use my craft for greater good. I don’t care about fame; that comes and goes. And it doesn’t provide any gratification or satisfaction.
On keeping her tresses uber-fly:
Conditioner! Conditioner! Conditioner! That and eating a lot of fish oils. Anything with Omega 3s I try to eat. Also Olive oil is good, hot oil treatments too!
On keeping the fire alive with her husband:
Honesty and communication! And always being each other’s friend. That kicks in when it needs to. You’ve got to have the courage to be vulnerable and if you don’t that’s when the problems happen. I married my best friend. We were friends before we even started dating. I would call him and talk to him about guys I was dating so he knew me inside out before he decided to start dating me, which is what makes the love even greater and more intense between us.
Want more of this interview? download the free a+ mag app and read the entire article at www.apl.us!
15 Looks That Prove Jurnee Smollett-Bell Is A Style Star
1. Jurnee Smollett arrives at the premiere of The Great DebatersSource:Ian West - PA Images/Getty Images 1 of 16
2. Jurnee Smollett-Bell attends The Art Of Elysium's 11th Annual CelebrationSource:Jesse Grant/Getty Images 2 of 16
3. Jurnee Smollett-Bell arrives for the Children's Defense Fund-California's 27th Annual Beat The Odds AwardsSource:Gabriel Olsen/Getty Images 3 of 16
4. Jurnee Smollett attends VANITY FAIR Oscar PartySource:Patrick McMullan/Getty Images 4 of 16
5. Jurnee Smollett attends EMI POST-GRAMMY PARTY AT THE NEW W HOLLYWOOD HOTELSource:Patrick McMullan/Getty Images 5 of 16
6. Jurness Smollett-Bell attends the Television Academy Host Words + Music at WolfSource:Earl Gibson III/Getty Images 6 of 16
7. Jurnee Smollett attends 40th Anniversary Of ESSENCE Magazine at Sunset Tower HotelSource:Patrick McMullan/Getty Images 7 of 16
8. Jurnee Smollett-Bell attends the 49th NAACP Image AwardsSource:David Crotty/Getty Images 8 of 16
9. Jurnee Smollett-Bell attends the 2018 Essence Black Women In Hollywood Oscars LuncheonSource:Aaron J. Thornton/Getty Images 9 of 16
10. Jurnee Smollett-Bell arrives at the premiere of Disney's 'A Wrinkle In Time'Source:Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/Getty Images 10 of 16
11. Celebrity jurnee smollett-bellSource:Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images 11 of 16
12. Jurnee Smollett-Bell attends Macy's to Celebrate Black History MonthSource:Gilbert Carrasquillo/Getty Images 12 of 16
13. Celebrity Jurnee Smollett-BellSource:Jamal Countess/Getty Images 13 of 16
14. Jurnee Smollett-Bell attends the 47th NAACP Image AwardsSource:Jesse Grant/Getty Images 14 of 16
15. Jurnee Smollett-Bell attends the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's Grants BanquetSource:Frazer Harrison/Getty Images 15 of 16
16. Actress Jurnee Smollett-Bell attends 5th Annual aTVfest at Four Seasons HotelSource:Paras Griffin/Getty Images 16 of 16
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook to stay on top of your favorite black celebrities: