I’m not one to make resolutions for any New Year, but I was stuck in a beauty rut. My winged liner and red or pink lip routine is a classic going-out staple that looks good on anyone, but what about the nights when I want that extra umph?
Lipstick is the easiest product to use to spice up your routine and can transform your look without jeopardizing your entire face–making sure both lines are even isn’t exactly a huge issue with lips. So, instead of picking up a bluer red or pinker pink, I came across a funky grey from Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar called Sebastian. It’s a lovely grey that appears to have a milky, even lilac, undertone, depending on your complexion or what you’re wearing.
To all the self-proclaimed beauty junkies, I double dare you to try this look. You may not be able to wear it everyday, but for special occasions a grey can really make heads turn.
Follow these tips to go grey with the best of ’em:
1. Start with a lip primer or hydrating balm that’ll coat your lips well. You don’t want any of the color slipping through dry cracks on your lips. I’d suggest either MAC Prep + Prime Lip or, if you’re on a budget, try E.L.F. Studio Lip Primer and Plumper. Set the primer for about 30 seconds.
2. The key to any sharp lip is the liner, and this look is no different. Draw a small line tracing the middle of your bottom lip. Open your mouth and trace the lower inner corners of your lip with the pencil. Drag the pencil from either corner back to the middle. Close your mouth; trace a line on your top lip (your cupid’s bow) and drag the liner to your lips’ corners. For a really dramatic effect, try using a liner that’s as close to the color as possible. In this case, it’d be MAC Stone, a muted grey that you can easily fill your lips with. You can also stick with any neutral brown liner to achieve a simpler look (even though this look is anything but!).
3. Always apply with a lip brush. Take any lip brush you can get your hands on, put some color on the tip and fill! Be sure to stay in the lines and layer on as much color for your desired effect.
Now, that you have your lip, keep these tips in mind to keep from clashing colors:
1. Keep the rest of your makeup fresh. Grey is a pretty muddy color to begin with, so dab some matte bronzer on your cheeks to keep your face warm.
2. Brighten your best features. Swipe white eyeliner on your bottom waterline (a common trick that wakes up your face) after using your favorite black eyeliner.
3. Tone down the rest of your outfit. A grey works the best with darker clothing, preferably in black or purple. Now’s not the time to break out that yellow dress you picked up last weekend. Also, avoid grey clothing to keep your look away from costume territory.
MORE STYLE & BEAUTY:
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook To Keep Up With The Latest Style & Beauty Trends
Also On HelloBeautiful:
Celebs Tweet Their Thoughts About #JusticeForSandraBland
1. Jesse Williams
#SandraBland's treatment while attempting to travel freely on HER public roadways has been acknowledged as unlawful. She is already dead.
2. Taraji P. Henson
"SAY HER NAME #SandraBland"
3. Ava DuVernay
"'Why are you arresting me?' Because you know your rights. Because I can. Because no one'll believe you. #SandraBland"
4. Kim Kardashian
#WhatHappenedToSandraBland We need answers!!!! This is NOT ok! This is all shady! They need to own up to this & tell the truth!
5. Jussie Smollet
"A loss 4 words. #SandraBlandMatters #BlackLivesMatter 👈🏿tell me this should change once the nation shows that we do. "
6. Snoop Dogg
🙏🌹. Sandra. Rip. 🌹🌹
7. K. Michelle
R.I.P to this queen. This could've been any of us. My prayers go out to her family. #sandrabland https://instagram.com/p/5fvlO_AhCf/
8. Gabrielle Union
SAY HER NAME!!! #SandraBland #SandraBland #SandraBland #SayHerName
"We must get to the cause of #sandrabland death because this CANNOT happen again #deathorfreedom"
10. David Banner
"When will we fight back. A man's duty on earth is to protect women and children. Where are the gangsters? Preachers? We need you. Please."
11. Nicki Minaj
"Rest In Peace #SandraBland"
12. Talib Kweli
"We the people ask @LorettaLynch to investigate #SandraBland #KimberleeRandleKing RETWEET "
Signs. Signs. Signs all around us. The Message is Here. #SandraBland
14. Missy Elliot
"When I look at the #SandraBland traffic video it brings so many emotions😳😢😡😡😤!"
15. Jessie J
"God bless your soul Sandra | #sandrabland | Change needs to come |Justice needs to be served | Heart… https://instagram.com/p/5fV79mQ0aw/ "
16. Jackee Harry
"It's time y'all, it's time.." #SandraBland #BlackLivesMatter
"In memory of #SandraBland these things don't make no kinda sense "
18. Holly Robinson Peete
I really don't look forward to having ANOTHER difficult conversation w my kids tonight...but here we go again😧💔 #SandraBland #SayHerName 😢
19. Jeffrey White
Sadly, doesn't matter by whose hand she died. Unjustified arrested set the outcome in motion. The state murdered her. #JusticeForSandraBland
Sandra could have been your mother, sister, aunt, friend or if she wasn't killed the community outreach advisor A&M. #SandraBland
21. Joan Smalls
"My heart is broken. Sending my deepest condolence to her family and friends. May you find Strength, Peace and Justice. When will this stop? #EqualityForAll #RIP #Why #SayHerName
22. Gladys Knight
Sandra Bland.... #SayHerName #SandraBland
23. Cara Delevigne
Things need to change NOW #SANDRABLAND #Justice #Equality
24. Meek Mill
"Rip to that young lady that lost her life about a traffic stop! 🙏 ima make sure I pray for her and her family! 🙏😄😄😄"