1. Happy Birthday Dominique Dawes!Source:Getty
We can remember cheering Dominique Dawes on from our living rooms when the “Magnificent Seven” competed and won gold at the 1996 Summer Olympics. Dawes made history as the first African-American woman to win an individual Olympic medal in artistic gymnastics and the first Black person to win an Olympic gold medal in gymnastics. We celebrate the living legend with a look back at some her most awe-inducing routines.
2. When She Was The Only Black Face In The “Magnificent Seven”Source:Getty
28 Jul 1992: The US Women”s Gymnastics team receive the gold medal in the Team competition at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. L – R are Betty Okino, Wendy Bruce, Dominique Dawes, Shannon Miller, Kerri Strug and Kim Zmeskal
3. Performing This Breathtaking Routine On The BeamSource:Getty
ATLANTA – JULY 21: Dominique Dawes performs her routine on the balance beam during the women’s gymnastics team competition at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, Ga.
4. Performing Incredible Flips On The Uneven BarSource:Getty
25 Jul 1996: Dominique Dawes of the USA flips on the Uneven Bar during her routine at the Georgia Dome in the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia.
5. At the 1996 Centennial Olympic GamesSource:Getty
23 Jul 1996: Dominique Dawes of the USA on the beam during the womens team gymnastics event at the Georgia Dome at the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia.
6. Posing Alongside Her TeamSource:Getty
Dawes took home the Bronze medal.
7. When The US Olympic Team Won Gold At The ’96 OlympicsSource:Getty
ATLANTA, GA – JULY 23: The US Olympic women gymnastics team (L-R) Amanda Borden, Dominique Dawes, Amy Chow, Jaycie Phelps, Dominique Moceanu, an injured Kerry Strug, and Shannon Miller sing the American national anthem after they won the women’s team gynastics event 23 July.
8. During PracticeSource:Getty
ATLANTA, UNITED STATES: US Olympic team gymnast Dominique Dawes practices on the balance beam during a training session 16 July at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. The 26th Summer Olympic Games are scheduled to open 19 July in Atlanta.
9. At The Sydney Olympic GamesSource:Getty
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA: Dominique Dawes of the USA performs her floor exercise routine, 17 September 2000 at the SuperDome, during the women’s gymnastics qualification at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
10. Practicing Her Balance Beam Routine At Warmup Session For The 2000 US Olympic Team TrialsSource:Getty
BOSTON, : Dominique Dawes, a two-time Olympian, practices her balance beam routine during the women’s warm-up session for the 2000 US Olympic Team Trials at the Fleet Center 16 August, 2000, in Boston, MA. The US Olympic Gymnastic Trials are the final competition of the year that will select the 2000 team for men’s and women’s artistic gymnastics.
11. At The Olympic Women’s Compulsory Artistic Team trials at the Fleet CenterSource:Getty
BOSTON, : Dominique Dawes performs on the balance beam during the Olympic Women’s Compulsory Artistic Team trials at the Fleet Center in Boston 28 June. The trials to pick the Olympic Gymnastic Team is scheduled to run through 30 June.
12. Performing This No Handed Back Walkover On The Balance BeamSource:Getty
27 AUG 1994: DOMINIQUE DAWES PERFORMS A NO HANDED BACK WALKOVER ON THE BALANCE BEAM ON HER WAY TO WINNING ALL FOUR EVENT FINALS AT THE SENIOR WOMEN”S US NATIONAL GYMNASTICS CHAMPIONSHIPS AT THE MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM IN NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE.
13. On The Uneven Bars At The USA Gymnastics Nationals at the Louisiana SuperdomeSource:Getty
19 Aug 1995: Dominique Dawes does her routine on the uneven bars during the USA Gymnastics Nationals at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana.
14. At The Budget Gymnastics InvitationalSource:Getty
17 Jun 1995: Dominique Dawes does her routine on the balance beam during the Budget Gymnastics Invitational at the San Jose Arena in San Jose, California.
15. When She Earned A Spot On The 1996 US Women”s Gymnastics Olympic TeamSource:Getty
30 Jun 1996: Dominique Dawes competes on the balance beam during the US Gymnastics Olympics Trials at the Fleet Center in Boston. Dawes earned a spot on the 1996 US Women”s Gymnastics Olympic team.
16. At The 1995 Budget Gymnastics InvitationalSource:Getty
17 Jun 1995: Dominique Dawes performs her routine on the balance beam during the 1995 Budget Gymnastics Invitational in San Jose, California.
17. At The US Gymnastics Olympics Trials at the Fleet Center in BostonSource:Getty
30 Jun 1996: Dominique Dawes competes on the balance beam during the US Gymnastics Olympics Trials at the Fleet Center in Boston. Dawes eaarned a spot on the 1996 US Women”s Gymnastics Olympic team.