Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, was struck by a magnitude 7.0 earthquake near the capital that destroyed buildings and left thousands of people dead or missing.
The United States is sending first responders to Haiti to assist victims of a powerful earthquake, as part of a coordinated American response that includes the departments of Defense, State and Homeland Security.
If you would like to help, you can donate to these groups:
– Save the Children. Donate at savethechildren.org or make checks out to “Save the Children” and mail to: Save the Children Income Processing Department, 54 Wilton Road, Westport, Conn. 06880
– UNICEF. Go online to unicefusa.org/haitiquake or call (800) 4UNICEF.
– Red Cross. Go online to redcross.org and click Donate, or call (800) REDCROSS.
– Direct Relief International. Donate online at directrelief.org.
– Mercy Corp. Go online to mercycorps.org or mail checks to Haiti Earthquake Fund, Dept. NR, PO Box 2669, Portland, Ore. 97208 or call (888) 256-1900