Love getting a manicure only to have it chip hours after its done? With the right tools and products, your nails can look just as great as the ones you pay for on a weekly basis.
Here are some tips on how to do-it-yourself at home:
1) Remove any old polish. After the polish is removed, clip the nails straight across, slightly above the skin.
2) Next, file nails straight across, rounding slightly on the corners. File from the outside to the center of the nail to prevent tearing and grinding away at the nail.
3) After filing, apply cuticle remover on the cuticles, and then soak fingers in warm soapy water for a few minutes. Avoid letting them soak long because if the nail is too saturated, it can make the nail soft, making it harder to apply polish. If nails are yellow or stained from constant use of polish, add a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide or lemon juice to the water.
4) When the nails are done soaking, use an orangewood stick wrapped in cotton to gently push back cuticles from the nails. With cuticle nippers, trim hangnails and avoid cutting the cuticle to prevent infection. Massage hands with a hand or body scrub, and then rinse and apply hand cream. Add cuticle oil to the cuticles and massage to allow the oil to soak in. After moisturizing, clean the nails of oil by using a cotton ball with polish remover to prepare nails for paint.
5) Painting the nails. Apply a base coat to nails, starting with the pinkie finger to prevent smudges while painting. After letting the base coat dry, apply the first coat of color polish. For an even amount of polish on each nail, use three strokes of the brush, the first one down the center and then one on each side from the bottom of the nail up to the top.
6) After the first coat is dry, the final step to the manicure is applying a second coat. By painting to the tip of the nail and slightly over, it can prolong the life of the manicure and prevent chipping. Use a small brush with remover to clean up any spots where the polish got onto the skin. Apply a clear topcoat and allow nails to dry.
These Realty TV Favorites Are Joining The Cast Of Zeus Network's 'Baddies East'
How To: Give It To Him Like You Mean It
Coi Leray Does The Big Chop And We're In Love
Steve Harvey Pays Emotional Tribute To Wife Marjorie At TheGrio Awards: 'I Appreciate You Riding With Me'
Angela Simmons Looks Like Money On Stage With Yo Gotti During A D.C. Stop Of The 'Gangsta Art Tour'
Tia Mowry Dishes On Affordable Holiday Hosting Ideas, Holiday Favs, And More
Usher Gets Emotional During Final Las Vegas Residency Show
Get To Know Mehgan James And The Entire Cast Of VH1's 'Basketball Wives Orlando'