Source: The Washington Post / Getty
According to The Baltimore Sun, the Department of Justice will not bring forth charges against the officers involved in the Freddie Gray case.
In April 2015, Gray suffered a broken neck after he was arrested, handcuffed and placed into a police wagon, unrestrained without a seat belt. In a fiery announcement, Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby charged officers Caesar Goodson Jr., Lt. Brian Rice, officer Edward Nero, Sgt. Alicia White and officer Garrett Miller in the days following Gray’s death.
On the day of Gray’s funeral, federal investigators launched a probe to determine whether his civil rights were violated during his arrest.
Six officers faced separate trials during the course of 2015-2016, however, Baltimore prosecutors decided to drop all remaining charges after three trials resulted in acquittals.
The DOJ has yet to formally announce their decision, according to the report. But Attorney General Jeff Sessions said he would move from focusing on police reform to crime fighting, a direct pivot of former Attorney General Loretta Lynch‘s priorties.
Each officer faces internal administrative trials set to begin in October. According to CBS Baltimore, an outsourced independent agency found five officers violated police policy.
Goodson, Rice, and White face termination, while Miller and Nero face five-day suspensions, CBS Baltimore reports.. Police commissioner Kevin Davis will ultimately determine each outcome.
SOURCE: The Baltimore Sun, CBS Baltimore
Five Officers Involved In Freddie Gray Case Face Internal Disciplinary Action
Jesse Williams Speaks Out On The Acquittals In The Freddie Gray Case
Baltimore Prosecutors Drop Charges Against Remaining Officers In Freddie Gray Trial
Who Is Marilyn Mosby? Meet The Woman Behind Freddie Gray's Investigation
18 photos Launch gallery
1. We're Obsessed
1 of 18
2. Birthday dance with @councilmanmosby #DancingMachines
2 of 18
3. #qselfiesummer #bmoreandvote #Bmore4Mosby #92q
3 of 18
4. #qselfiesummer #92Q #Bmore #Baltimore #RockTheVote #ElectionDay #June24th
4 of 18
5. #Women4ASaferBaltimore WELCOME to our Run/Walk! #OurTimeIsNow
5 of 18
6. #MyRock @councilmanmosby
6 of 18
7. With my Gladiators! #TeamMosby #OurTimeIsNow
7 of 18
8 of 18
9. Sometimes you have to just stop and listen to what kids have to say. (Photo by @mi_nombre_es_cardecornish)
9 of 18
10. Victory! (Photo by @mi_nombre_es_cardecornish)
10 of 18
11. Had a fabulous time with men of Omega Psi Phi #CharmCity #Ques
11 of 18
12. With my mother and grandmother on Election Night!
12 of 18
13. THANK YOU BALTIMORE!!!!
13 of 18
14. Was on The Anthony McCarthy Show today discussing my platform and what I will do to improve the Office of the State's Attorney.
14 of 18
15. I had an amazing afternoon speaking to these young girls at the 2nd Annual Black Girls Rock Conference. They definitely have a very bright future ahead! #BGR #OurTimeIsNow
15 of 18
16. The Zion Baptist Church & Oliver Community's Parade. @councilmanmosby and the girls enjoyed walking with me in the parade!
16 of 18
17. I am so grateful. What a journey! Change starts with US! THANK YOU! #OurTimeIsNow #TeamMosby
17 of 18
18. #EnoughIsEnough Peace Rally. Week 8. Baker & Appleton Streets.
18 of 18