Former President Barack Obama has several schools across California named after him, and he could soon add a street in the state that honors his legacy.
Los Angeles City Council President Herb Wesson is spearheading an effort to change Rodeo Road in southwest L.A. to “Obama Boulevard,” The Los Angeles Times reports.
The lawmaker underscored that his district has streets named for several presidents—Washington, Adams and Jefferson, NBC News Los Angeles reported. Renaming a 3.5-mile stretch of Rodeo Road would be a fitting honor for the nation’s 44th president.
Obama, while he was a senator, held his fist L.A. presidential campaign rally at Rancho Cienega Park on Rodeo Road, Wesson noted. Also, the former president attended Occidental College in Los Angeles as an undergraduate.
Los Angeles would not be the first California city to name a street after the nation’s first Black president. The Seaside City Council double-named a street “Obama Way” in 2010, the Monterey County Weekly reported.
President Obama could also have a highway named in his honor. NBC New L.A. reported that state senators approved renaming part of the 134 Freeway in honor of the former president earlier this year.
11 Reasons We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.Source:Getty 1 of 8
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.Source:Getty 2 of 8
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.Source:Getty 3 of 8
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.Source:Getty 4 of 8
5. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.Source:Getty 5 of 8
6. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.Source:Getty 6 of 8
7. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.Source:Getty 7 of 8
8. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.Source:Getty 8 of 8