On Sunday, French authorities arrested an Albanian couple believed to be in connection with the Nice terror attacks that killed 84 people last week. The driver of the van, Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, was shot dead after he crashed his van into a large crowd of people who were celebrating Bastille Day.
CNN reported that Agnes Thibault Lecuivre, a spokeswoman for the anti-terrorism prosecutor, did not provide details on the couple’s connection to the terror attack or their names. It’s also being reported that authorities have a total of six people in custody, including Bouhlel’s estranged wife, who they suspect were working with Bouhlel. Yet, the wife’s lawyers claim tthat he two hadn’t been in contact with each other in a while because they were in the the middle of divorce proceedings, CNN noted.
In addition, on Saturday ISIS took credit for the attack saying in a statement, “the person … carried out the operation in response to calls to target nationals of the coalition which is fighting the Islamic State.” However, France’s Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve told the press that Bouhle’s name hadn’t shown up on any anti-terrorist intelligence radar nor had he been known to make any militant declarations.
“It seems he became radicalized very quickly,” Cazeneuve said.
According to CNN, about 85 people are still hospitalized with 29 patients in intensive care in the wake of Thursday’s attack.
Sending our prayers to France.
Another day, another act of terror.
This time it happened in Nice, France, as residents took to the streets to celebrate the holiday Bastille Day.
According to ABC News, a truck loaded with arms and grenades, plowed into a crowd of people on Thursday night killing at least 77 and injuring at least 100. The driver was shot to death, authorities said.
Christian Estrosi, president of the region, told the news outlet it was clear the driver acted on “completely premeditated behavior.”
One witness, Jimmy Ghazal, told ABC he saw a big truck drive “through all the security” and “the kids thought it was part of the fireworks. We just told them it was part of the fireworks.”
President Obama issued the following statement about the attacks:
“On behalf of the American people, I condemn in the strongest terms what appears to be a horrific terrorist attack in Nice, France, which killed and wounded dozens of innocent civilians. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and other loved ones of those killed, and we wish a full recovery for the many wounded. I have directed my team to be in touch with French officials, and we have offered any assistance that they may need to investigate this attack and bring those responsible to justice. We stand in solidarity and partnership with France, our oldest ally, as they respond to and recover from this attack … On this Bastille Day, we are reminded of the extraordinary resilience and democratic values that have made France an inspiration to the entire world, and we know that the character of the French Republic will endure long after this devastating and tragic loss of life.”
Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement: “Today’s horrendous attack in Nice is an attack against innocent people on a day that celebrates liberty, equality, and fraternity.”
No group has taken responsibility for the attack, and anti-terror prosecutors in France have taken over the investigation, CNN noted.
This is a developing story. We will provide updates as they become available.