If you aren’t a fan of Spike’s Lip Sync Battle by now, then this post is specifically for you.
During the premiere of the show’s second season, we witnessed an epic lip sync battle between Channing Tatum and his wife Jenna Dewan-Tatum. The two killed each song they performed, but, Channing had a little extra help.
While performing “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé, Queen Bey herself made an appearance, and everyone in the world got their lives.
But how Spike was able to book a celebrity like Beyoncé remained a mystery… until now.
According to producers of the hit show — the premiere alone garnered over 4.7 million viewers among adults 18 to 49 — getting Beyoncé to appear on the show was a year in the making, which is not surprising at all.
Casey Patterson, one of the executive producers, told THR, “We don’t choose the songs for the performers — it’s always their choice — and, since day one, the most requested artist has been Beyonce.”
She continued, “She’s been the holy grail, and we’ve always been in contact with her camp. They know when we’re gearing up for production.”
And rightfully so, Beyoncé is the queen of making sing-a-long hits; it’s not shocking one would want to perform a song from her library.
Apparently, Beyoncé was well aware that participants on the show wanted to lip sync to her music, but it wasn’t until Channing asked to perform one of her songs that she gave permission. And, she didn’t commit to appearing on stage with Channing until a day before the taping of the show.
But here’s the kicker. Before the performance that shut down the Internet, Beyoncé and Channing Tatum had never met.
Casey said of the organic moment, “He’s dressed as her, dancing and singing to her song. We were just hoping he would keep dancing.”
A huge thanks to Spike for organizing one of the greatest moments in TV history. If you missed the performance, check it out up top.
Watch Blue Ivy Grow Up On Beyonce's Instagram
1. Blue Ivy with her auntie SolangeSource:Instagram 1 of 24
2. With daddy at the superbowlSource:Instagram 2 of 24
3. Hand in Hand.Source:Instagram 3 of 24
4. Mommy-daughter time.Source:Instagram 4 of 24
5. Mirror, mirror.Source:Instagram 5 of 24
6. 11 months old and already in Vogue. Goals.Source:Instagram 6 of 24
7. Carter Girls.Source:Instagram 7 of 24
8. A mother's love.Source:Instagram 8 of 24
9. The Blueprint.Source:Instagram 9 of 24
10. Tour life.Source:Instagram 10 of 24
11. Way up.Source:Instagram 11 of 24
12. Beach is better.Source:Instagram 12 of 24
13. Aunt and Uncle time.Source:Instagram 13 of 24
14. Valentine's Day activities.Source:Instagram 14 of 24
15. History repeats itself!Source:Instagram 15 of 24
16. As fast as you can.Source:Instagram 16 of 24
17. Making friends with a new pup.Source:Instagram 17 of 24
18. The ice cream truck is a must.Source:Instagram 18 of 24
19. Yacht life is a great life.Source:Instagram 19 of 24
20. Picking the prettiest one.Source:Instagram 20 of 24
21. "My favorite hue is Jay-Z Blue."Source:Instagram 21 of 24
22. Hugged up with mommy Bey.Source:Instagram 22 of 24
23. Visiting the Frida Kahlo exhibition in NY.Source:Instagram 23 of 24
24. Halloween costume inspiration.Source:Instagram 24 of 24