Black revolutionaries in different times and throughout the Diaspora, sought freedom and liberation. Their words should never be lost because of time. Here are some great quotes about freedom, liberty and life.
1. Most men today cannot conceive of a freedom that does not involve somebody’s slavery. –W. E. B. Du Bois
2. There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires. – Nelson Mandela (South Africa)
3. If women want any rights more than they’s got, why don’t they just take them, and not be talking about it. – Sojourner Truth
4. Freedom is not something that one people can bestow on another as a gift. Thy claim it as their own and none can keep it from them. – Kwame Nkrumah (Ghana)
5. We have repaid these cannibals war for war, crime for crime, outrage for outrage. Yes, I have saved my country, I have avenged America! This avowal before heaven and earth is my pride and my glory! What do I care for the opinion of my contemporaries or of future generations? I have done my duty; I approve of myself; that suffices me. – Jean-Jacques Dessalines (Haiti)
6. As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring. – Funmilayo Ransome Kuti (Nigeria)
7. I just don’t believe that when people are being unjustly oppressed that they should let someone else set rules for them by which they can come out from under that oppression. – Malcolm X
8. As a black woman, my politics and political affiliation are bound up with and flow from participation in my people’s struggle for liberation, and with the fight of oppressed people all over the world against American imperialism. – Angela Davis
9. One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
10. If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. – Marcus Garvey