woman who’s been in a long term relationship for a few years now, many people feel it safe to come to me for relationship advice. However, when it comes to relationships I don’t necessarily think there is really a specific “go to” person for the topic. Not saying I don’t believe in relationship advice or relationship experts, what I mean is that I don’t think there is a single person you can get this specific advice from.
Personally, I think the best relationship advice comes from practice, some of the ways that have worked for you in dealing with this specific type of person. No one is exactly the same I think the best advice someone can offer in terms of relationships are those stemming from people’s personal experiences. In other words, if you typically go for bad boys and most of your relationships have failed, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that one of the best decisions you can make for yourself this time would be to try something new, maybe try a nice guy for once. This logic can be applied to fit the different situations you have experience in. For example, if you usually date white collar, wall street business men and you aren’t having any luck in your love life, switch to the opposite.
However, for those that need a specific list, I’ve created one just for you. In addition with a few strategies that have helped me maintain a healthy four in a half year relationship, I did a little questioning around the office and came up with a couple of others. Check out 6 ways to maintain a healthy relationship below:
6. Trying new things. There really isn’t a nice way to say that after being in a long term relationship for so long things tend to get pretty boring. So its’ a constant struggle to try new things whether it be new ideas for dates or spicy ideas for sex everything counts and it all works in your favor in creating a fun relationship.
5. Setting your pride aside. Some times you will have to put your pride to the side, go against what you really want for once in the relationship and agree to disagree (this also goes with compromise). If your partner is really observing, he’ll remember this and love you more for it.
4. Compromise. Relationships are a two way street. It’s all about giving and receiving. You give a little of something once, they receive it and vice versa. You can’t just expect gifts if you never give them yourself, as with respect, you can’t receive respect if you don’t give it.
3. Make it mutual. A relationship cannot be a relationship with just one person. It has to be a mutual agreement
2. Communication. There is no doubt in my mind that this is something you have heard many times before, but as they say “communication is key.” Be mindful that often times in relationships we can get so comfortable with our partner, that we forget that although you may know your partner well, we are not mind readers. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that whatever you are feeling at the moment, you have to speak on it. You have to speak up whether you’re hurt, happy or angry.
1. Faith. Nothing, and I do mean nothing will work if you don’t have faith first.
Also, I took to my facebook and twitter pages and asked a few folks what were some of their key ways to maintaining a healthy relationship and they came up with some awesome ideas as well, some even better than mine. Check out what they thought should make the list:
Sex. This logic depends on the person, some beings are more sexual then others so for those this will definitely be a key factor in a flourishing relationship.
Space. This is one of the most important factors in maintaining a healthy relationship and quite frankly I’m a little jealous I didn’t think of it. Couples tend to forget more often than not that we are still human beings, and everybody needs their space sometimes, and I for one can most definitely.
Honesty/Trust. These are two things that needs to be held in high regard in ANY relationship.
Understanding. Understanding is important because your partner needs to be the one person you can count on to understand exactly what you are going through when no one else knows or even cares.
Respect. Respect needs to be number one on everyone’s list of ways to maintain a healthy relationship because if you don;t have respect you have absolutely nothing. Once the respect in a relationship is lost, your partner has the freedom to disrespect you in any and every kind of way.
Communication. As I previously stated, communication is key so if you can’t communicate, you have no relationship. This was one of the most common factors in maintaining a healthy relationship.
Also, be sure to follow me on twitter @arieinthecity and add me on facebook at Ariel Crockett!