Mariel Haenn is a titan in both the fashion and entertainment industries. Thanks to her stylistic genius, super-celebs like Rihanna, Ciara, Jada Pinkett and Christina Milian have joined the ranks of the premier style icons. The half Puerto Rican stylist has mastered the art of cultivating signature looks for many of the celebrities gracing our tv screens and radios. Although she began as a designer, she explains in a recent interview with Latina Magazine,
“Styling turned out to be more exciting. It allowed me to design the overall look and help create distinguished personalities for musicians and celebs.”
Mariel, who has been styling professionally for 8 years, mixes edgy, sexy, distinctive pieces to cultivate unique looks that make strong statements. For those of us that do our own styling, here are a few tips from Mariel, that will help you to get the look that she so masterfully puts together for her clients:
1. “A black blazer makes any look edgy and fashion forward,” says Haenn. “You can wear with it jeans or a pencil skirt, or even a dress, with the sleeves pushed up.”
2. “A thin cashmere scarf in a bright pop color,” says Haenn.
3. “A trench coat is a great, classic way of dressing up any look.”
4. “An oversized sweater is both comfortable and chic with a pair of leggings.”
5. “Black leather leggings by Helmut Lang” are a must-have, according to Haenn.
6. Her favorite brand of denim: “J Brand skinny jeans are great for getting dressed up and wearing with boots.”
7. Every girl needs a vintage belt, says Haenn. “Anything vintage is usually a great bargain, as well as a special piece that you know no one else will have.”
8. “A pair of leather driving gloves from LaCrasia Gloves in red or purple will add instant style to any look,” says Haenn.
9. “A cashmere cardigan by Theory is good to throw on over any outfit and cashmere always adds luxury,” says Haenn.
10. “A men’s white button-down by H&M is cheap but always classic,” says Haenn. “Throw a belt over it, and that’s an easy way to look timeless and chic.”
Here’s a gallery with some of Mariel’s looks on your favorite celebs: