Kenneka Jenkins‘ family will lay her to rest on September 30 according to a Facebook live post made by Jenkins’ mother, Teresa Martin.
The date was finalized after Martin moved the date in order to accommodate the large crowds expected to attend.
Jenkins’ death continues to garner national attention as supporters rally around her family and continue to pressure authorities to investigate what led to the teen’s mysterious death.
The devastating, untimely death of Kenneka Jenkins (who goes by Kenneka Martin on Facebook) sent shock waves through the social media community, spawning the hashtag #JusticeForKenneka.
Kenneka’s name trended on Twitter yesterday after the story went viral, spawning numerous citizen detectives who pieced together their own respective theories.
Here’s all we know about the tragic case so far:
Rosemont Mayor Bradley Stephens commented on the investigation into Kenneka’s mysterious death during his annual village address to the Rosemont Chamber of Commerce.
“It’s unfortunate that some of that stuff’s convoluting the investigation because all those leads have got to be followed up on,” he said. “As I’m sure you’ve seen, there’s a lot of different, conflicting speculation out there, so (police) are doing their best to come to a quick resolution, obviously. I think everybody wants to know what happened.”
Rosemont spokesperson Gary Mack revealed police will show Kenneka’s mother the hotel surveillance footage on Thursday.
“We’re trying to be as understanding as we can to the mom and to be as compassionate as we can,” he said. “Now that our detectives have had the chance to look at it, we’re hopeful it will be helpful to her.”
A march was held for Kenneka Jenkins Wednesday night.
Police reportedly interviewed eight suspects and are four others “who were involved in some way.”
“At this time, the incident is still an active death investigation. Our detectives are working around the clock to identify, locate and interview all persons who were involved,” the police statement said.
1. Kenneka Jenkins left home around 11:30 pm on September 9 to attend a kickback with friends at the Crowne Plaza Chicago O’Hare Hotel & Conference Center.
2. She was reportedly last seen by her friends in the early hours of the morning. Kenneka’s sister last spoke to her at 1:30 am around the alleged time she went missing.
3. The friends called Kenneka’s mother, Teresa Martin, around 4:30 am to inform her they couldn’t find Kenneka. Martin rushed to the hospital and asked hotel staff to see surveillance video, but was referred to police, who instructed her to wait.
4. 19-year-old Kenneka Jenkins was found dead in a walk-in freezer in a vacant area of the Crowne Plaza Chicago O’Hare Hotel & Conference Center.
5. Irene Roberts appeared to be live streaming the “kickback” on Kenneka friend’s Monifa Shelton’s FB page. Kenneka can allegedly be seen in the reflection of camerawoman’s sunglasses in the final moments before she went missing. The video and other social media posts are being investigated by police.
6. Kenneka’s alleged voice can be heard in the background of the video.
7. One of the girls on the live Facebook video reportedly works at the Crowne Plaza Chicago O’Hare Hotel & Conference Center where Kenneka partied and eventually died.
8. Martin claims police told her Kenneka drunkenly stumbled into the freezer, fell asleep and died.
9. Investigators have access to surveillance footage and have been questioning witnesses, however, they have not released information about how Kenneka died or got into the freezer.
10. During a recent Facebook live protest and press conference, the mother said, she’s been getting different stories from both the police and friends. “I’m getting a bunch of different stories from friends and police.”
11. A video of Kenneka and her friend, who was reportedly with her before she disappeared, appear in this video on Monifah Shelton’s Facebook page.
12. Citizen journalists have pieced together different theories and timelines in an attempt to solve Kenneka’s mysterious death.
13. Countless infuencers like Tami Roman have taken to social media to voice their opinions about the case.
14. A hotel employee demonstrated how to use a walk-in freezer similar to the one allegedly used at the Crowne Plaza.
We pray Kenneka and her family get the justice they deserve. We’ll keep you updated on all details as they come in.
These Realty TV Favorites Are Joining The Cast Of Zeus Network's 'Baddies East'
How To: Give It To Him Like You Mean It
Coi Leray Does The Big Chop And We're In Love
Steve Harvey Pays Emotional Tribute To Wife Marjorie At TheGrio Awards: 'I Appreciate You Riding With Me'
Get To Know Mehgan James And The Entire Cast Of VH1's 'Basketball Wives Orlando'
Shantel Jackson Opens Up About Why She And Nelly Split After Seven Years Of Dating
Angela Simmons And Yo Gotti Are Couples Goals In Matching Black 'Fits On Instagram
Halle Bailey Is 'Minding Her Business' And So Should We