Anticipation has been building all summer long and on Tuesday, Queen Sugar finally premiered on OWN to collective praise.
Produced by Academy Award-nominated director Ava DuVernay, Queen Sugar is groundbreaking for many reasons. Within the first few seconds, you get the sense you’re in for something special.
If you didn’t catch the debut, we’ve compiled a list of reasons why you absolutely have to give it a chance.
1. Meshell Ndegeocello – You may have heard the fabulous Meshell Ndegeocello would be scoring for Queen Sugar prior to the premiere, and her vocals were immediately recognizable. With such gifted musical talent to score the series, expect this season to sound just as good as it looks and feels.
2. Kofi Siriboe Is Delicious Eye Candy – Kofi Siriboe will set your pulse racing courtesy of his undeniable good looks as the sensitive, brooding ex-con Ralph Angel (the only son of the Bordelon clan). The former Wilhelmina model is wrapped in beautiful chocolate skin, has pearly white teeth, and irresistibly sexy.
3. Family Dynamics – Queen Sugar does an excellent job showcasing the various layers that make up a family unit. There’s an ex-con trying to find stability, a former addict in recovery, and a free-spirit caught up in an adulterous love affair. The devastation of losing a parent combined with a wealthy family embroiled in a very public sex scandal adds to the juicy story line. All of this occurs in just the first episode, so you know the rest of the season will be jam-packed with drama.
4. #BlackGirlMagic All Around – Between Rutina Wesley, Tina Lifford, Bianca Lawson and Dawn-Lyen Gardner, not only is the acting on Queen Sugar top-notch, it’s full of beautiful #blackgirlmagic. There are all shades of lovely brown represented in all of these strong female characters who definitely have different struggles, but are united in their resolve to change their situations.
5. Top-Notch Acting – The entire cast is giving it their all and you see just how committed they are to their performances all throughout the first episode. Certain scenes are extremely powerful without a word being uttered, while others are full of dialogue you can’t help but remember.
Tune in to next week’s episode of Queen Sugar on OWN next Wednesday at 10 p.m.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Instagram
Check out more Queen Sugar here:
These Realty TV Favorites Are Joining The Cast Of Zeus Network's 'Baddies East'
How To: Give It To Him Like You Mean It
Coi Leray Does The Big Chop And We're In Love
Steve Harvey Pays Emotional Tribute To Wife Marjorie At TheGrio Awards: 'I Appreciate You Riding With Me'
Tia Mowry Dishes On Affordable Holiday Hosting Ideas, Holiday Favs, And More
Get To Know Mehgan James And The Entire Cast Of VH1's 'Basketball Wives Orlando'
Tia Mowry Shares Sweet Thanksgiving Photos With Children And Ex Cory Hardrict
Shantel Jackson Opens Up About Why She And Nelly Split After Seven Years Of Dating