Miss District of Columbia 2016, Deshauna Barber, was crowned Miss USA Sunday, beating out the competition and slaying her way to the top with her impressive credentials as an army officer and I.T. specialist for the federal government and of course, gorgeous good looks.
This year’s show was an interesting one, and not just because it finally broke its relationship with Donald Trump. It featured a number of intelligent, accomplished women, who are of course beautiful and talented as well. Breaking usual stereotypes of the pageant, the top five was a diverse makeup, featuring 2 Black women (Miss D.C. Deshauna Barber and Miss Georgia, Emanii Davis), 1 Latina (Miss California Nadia Mejia, who is actually Rico Suave’s daughter!), 1 Caucasian (Miss Alabama, Peyton Brown) and 1 Hawaiian (Miss Hawaii, Chelsea Keolani Hardin).
But Deshauna took home the top scores to be crowned queen Sunday night, beating out top contestants. Miss Hawaii took home first runner up, followed by Miss Georgia, making the top three ALL women of color.
From the District of Columbia, #MissUSA 2016 Deshauna Barber!
Deshauna is more than just gorgeous, she also serves in the U.S. military as an officer in the army, like her father before her, and is an I.T. Analyst for the U.S. Department of Commerce. She is a graduate of Virginia State University and has dedicated her platform to raising awareness for PTSD.
Deshauna has a passion to serve the men and women in the U.S. military, specifically focusing her platform on PTSD treatment for soldiers returning from deployments and suicide prevention in the Armed Forces.
Check out more photos of Deshauna, the new Miss USA, below.
Miss District of Columbia Deshauna Barber Crowned Miss USA 2016
1. Feeling Lucky ☘Source:Instagram 1 of 13
2.Source:Instagram 2 of 13
3. Because Spring Has Sprung 🌞Source:Instagram 3 of 13
4. Army Chicks Do It Better 😉Source:Instagram 4 of 13
5. Sisterhood 👑 #RoadToMissUSASource:Instagram 5 of 13
6. Feeling incredibly blessed and thankful that I will be walking the Miss USA stage.Source:Instagram 6 of 13
7. Morning Satellite Interview w/ @MissUSA @TerrenceJ & Good Morning DCSource:Instagram 7 of 13
8. No matter happens in 2.5 hours, I am thankful to have represented the District Of Columbia and Military Service Women around the world on the Miss USA stage ☺️ The stereotype for Women In The Military is OFFICIALLY BROKEN 🇺🇸 The stereotype for Pageant Women is OFFICIALLY BROKEN 👑 *Drops Mic* MakeUp By The Amazing @blushtones 💄Source:Instagram 8 of 13
9.Source:Getty 9 of 13
10.Source:Getty 10 of 13
11.Source:Getty 11 of 13
12.Source:Getty 12 of 13
13.Source:Getty 13 of 13