Hellobeautiful Featured Video

Staffers at Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center in Elizabethtown, Kentucky didn’t start CPR on 16-year-old Gynnya McMillen until almost 10 minutes after she was found unresponsive in her cell.

The deputy arrived at 9:55 a.m on Jan. 11 to transport the teen, who had only been at the detention overnight, to court. As previously reported by Hello Beautiful, officials previously confirmed to 48 Hours’ Crimesider that McMillen did not respond that day when food was offered at 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., or later when her mother called.

The deputy and Lincoln Village staffers discovered that McMillen was “cold to the touch.” Audio of the dispatch obtained by 48 Hours’ Crimesiders shows that no one attempted CPR on the teen until they were prompted to by dispatch. Even more egregious, the nurse on duty didn’t know if they had CPR protocol, saying that she was “new.”

Nine minutes passed between the deputy’s arrival and the first call to 911, at 10:04 a.m.

About 1 ½ minutes later, the emergency dispatcher asked a Lincoln Village nurse if CPR was being performed.

“No it’s not,” the nurse said.

“They want us to start CPR,” she can then be heard saying to someone at the facility.

“Do y’all have a CPR protocol or do y’all need it?” the dispatcher asked about 10 seconds later.

“I’m new, I can find out, I don’t know,” the nurse replied.

It was confirmed that CPO was in progress at 10:07. Eight minutes later, an EMS supervisor declared McMillen dead, and by 11:33am, the teen’s body was being taken to the coroner’s office.

Macmillan’s family claims that it has been extremely difficult for them to get information from them, but the detention center has already started defending themselves and criminalizing McMillen in the press.

“The staff performed an Aikido restraint hold to safely conduct a pat-down search and remove the youth’s hoodie,” wrote Stacy Floden spokesperson for the center. “The purpose of having multiple staff involved in a controlled restraint is to ensure the safety of the youth and staff.”

The teen’s “repeated refusal to cooperate with staff and remove her outer garment prompted the restraint,” Floden continued. A female staff member conducted the pat-down and removed the hoodie, she said.

As previously reported by Hello Beautiful, Reginald Windham, a ten-year veteran with Kentucky’s juvenile justice department, has been placed on paid administrative leave for using the martial arts hold on McMillen, though officials claim they believe she died in her sleep and don’t believe that the martial arts hold inflicted on McMillen by Windham had anything to do with her death.


#SayHerName: 16-Year-Old Gynnya McMillen Found Dead In Police Custody

Gynnya McMillen: Grown Ass Male Staffer Used Martial Arts Restraint Hold On 16-Year-Old Before She Died