First, let’s call the Charleston shooter what he is: a thug, a terrorist, a killer. On Wednesday, 21-year-old Dylann Storm Roof walked into Emanuel AME Church, sat down for service for an hour before proclaiming he was there to “kill Black people” and then proceeded to do so. Roof killed nine people and is has reportedly been arrested in Shelby, NC. Roof waived extradition to South Carolina, according to a court official.
Here’s what we know about him:
1. He is from Lexington, South Carolina.
2. He’s 5’9″ with a slender build.
3. He was arrested on April 26, 2015 on drug and trespassing charges and at the time of the massacre, was awaiting moderation.
4. His above Facebook profile photo shows him wearing a jacket that has flags of apartheid-era South Africa and Rhodesia (Zimbabwe).
5. According to police, Roof escaped in a black Hyundai with the license plate LGF 300.
6. Roof told the one victim he allowed to live that he had to do it. The survivor said that Roof said, “You rape our women and you’re taking over the country. You have to go.”
7. Roof’s uncle told Reuters that he had received a gun for his birthday this past April and that he had recognized Roof from the images released by police.