Gabrielle Union might be one of the smartest comedic actresses around, but Hollywood doesn’t want her sharp wit.
The actress has charmed celebs and audiences alike with her sense of humor. She’s great with one-liners and sharing hilarious stories. Did we mention all the chuckles we got over the shade she threw whenever someone would ask who she’s inviting to her wedding.
Gabrielle can make people laugh. Even, so Chris Rock was really impressed with how funny Gabrielle was while they were filming “Top Five.” She was cast to play a fabulous reality star that’s thirsty for the spotlight. Between scenes, though, she apparently had the leading man cracking up.
“People don’t realize that Gab Union is one of the funniest people out there…she’s like ‘Tiny Fey funny,'” Chris told Angie Martinez during an interview on Power 105.1. “With the right parts she could do something big, and turn around and play Rosa Parks.”
MUST READ: Gabrielle Union Pulled Inspiration From The Kardashians & The Braxtons For ‘Top Five’ Gig
Unfortunately, Gabrielle believes that getting the opportunity to showcase her smart sense of humor is tougher than it sounds. It’s not just a personal struggle. She believes that Hollywood just isn’t looking for Black women that can dish up high-brow humor.
“There’s not a lot of smart comedies where they want a black woman. They want us shucking and jivin’ and cooning, that’s where they’re most comfortable having a black woman,” Gabrielle later explained to Angie.
According to her, Hollywood has a few go-to actresses when it’s looking for a witty leading woman–none of which are in any danger of failing the paper bag test.
“So to get a role like Tina Fey, smart, edgy, more cerebral humor…no, they’re going to get Tiny Fey. They’re going to get Amy Poehler, they going to get Rashida Jones…that crew,” She added, mentioning that she might have found an in to the elusive set. “So I just got to get invited to Judd Apatow’s house, and I feel like once I get in there hopefully I’ll make myself at home.”
Not to discount Gabrielle’s argument, but it is worth pointing out that Rashida Jones is a Black woman. Most people may not identify her as such, but the legendary producer Quincy Jones is her dad. So…that just needed to be pointed out because people tend to forget that.
Gabrielle Union Reads Charles Barkely For Dissing D-Wade’s All Star Team Spot & Charles Responds!
SUNDAY PAPER: Gabrielle Union’s Camp Responds To Pregnancy Rumors; Mel B Hospitalized For Overdose & More
Gabrielle Union Hasn’t Filed Her Marriage License Yet?!
Also On HelloBeautiful:
Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow + Restore Conditioner
1 of 25
2. Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl + Style Milk
2 of 25
3. Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Sulfate-Free Shampoo
3 of 25
4. Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey Shine Pomade
4 of 25
5. Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Leave-In Moisturizer
5 of 25
6. As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner
6 of 25
7. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
Source:courtesy of Organix
7 of 25
8. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner
8 of 25
9. Cantu Shea Butter Twist And Lock Gel
9 of 25
10. Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Shampoo
Source:courtesy of Beautiful Textures
10 of 25
11. Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter
Source:courtesy of Moisture Butter
11 of 25
12. Ojon Damage Reverse Shampoo
Source:courtesy of Ojon
12 of 25
13. Ojon Damage Reverse Conditioner
Source:courtesy of Ojon
13 of 25
14. OBIA Curl Hydration Spray
14 of 25
15. Ouidad Heat and Humidity Gel
Source:courtesy of Ouidad
15 of 25
16. Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Gel
16 of 25
17. Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper
Source:Curly Hair Solutions
17 of 25
18. Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite
18 of 25
19. Moroccanoil Hydrating Shampoo
19 of 25
20. Moroccanoil Hydrating Conditioner
20 of 25
21. Moroccanoil Hair Treatment
21 of 25
22. Yarok Hair
22 of 25
23. WEN Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner
23 of 25
24. Jane Carter Solution All Natural Nourish and Shine for Dry Hair and Dry Skin
Source:Jane Carter Solution
24 of 25
25. Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Co-Wash Conditioner
25 of 25