Aretha Franklin has dropped the first cut from her cover album, and she’s decided her rendition of an Adele hit was the best opening salvo.
Aretha’s been teasing her upcoming project “Aretha Franklin Sings The Great Diva Classics,” where she does her own version of hits by other divas, for months. Today, everyone finally got a chance to hear what she’ll be doing with some of the songs we all love.
From the beginning, this version of “Rolling In The Deep” is distinctly Aretha–though not without a little distortion. Towards the end, she overlaps the hook from “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” with Adele’s song. The single has been met with mixed reaction, but tell us what you think below!
Adele’s song is simply one of many on Aretha’s “Diva Classics.” Scroll down to check out the rest of the album’s track list:
1. “At Last” (Etta James Cover)
2. “Rolling In The Deep” (Adele Cover)
3. “Midnight Train To Georgia” (Gladys Knight and The Pips Cover)
4. “I Will Survive” (Gloria Gaynor Cover)
5. “People” (Barbra Streisand Cover)
6. “No One” (Alicia Keys Cover)
7. “I’m Every Woman” (Chaka Khan Cover) / “Respect”
8. “Teach Me Tonight” (Dinah Washington Cover)
9. “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” (The Supremes Cover)
10. “Nothing Compares 2 U” (Sinéad O’Connor Cover)