This year, ESSENCE celebrates 20 incredible years of music, culture, community, empowerment and inspiration through their iconic annual Essence Festival. There’s always been four days each summer that no one can duplicate. There’s nothing like the Essence Festival!
Anyone who attends the festival will testify that this experience is nothing short of thrilling, sensational, and wondrous. If the headlining line-up of Grammy-award winners who are performing isn’t enough to convince you that your presence is needed, here’s five more reasons why you should attend the Essence Festival this year.
Networking & Culture. I had the pleasure of attending the festival last year and beyond being simply delighted to be in such beautiful city, I met so many powerful young men and women. From all the locals who take pride in giving us the best NOLA experience possible, to that girl I met from London rocking the flyest maxi dress ever and was totally ready for my street style photo series–there’s plenty to see and feel!
Delicious grub. I am certain that I gained at least 12 pounds that weekend. Everything is dipped in batter and fried to perfection (even the oreo cookies), and it’s nearly impossible to pass up those scrumptious beignets. Jesus made them with love and I would argue that they are sprinkled with magic fairy dust! I suggest that you make that the first place you stop once you land in New Orleans.
Inspiration. This is probably the best part of the weekend and the one part that you must witness for yourself. Once you enter the conference, there’s all kinds of “girl, get ya life” moments that will occur. This year you can take your pick from Alicia Keys, to Congresswoman Maxine Waters, to the incomparable T.D. Jakes. How’s that for a mega-church service?!
Throwbacks. When will you ever be able to see 112, Amel Larrieux, Doug E Fresh, Eve, Jagged Edge, Naughty by Nature, Stephanie Mills, and Tevin Campbell perform all in one weekend…under the same roof. And just think, I left out a few names!
Legendary Icons. One word. PRINCE! Ok, three words. Prince. Is. Performing! I think I have waited my entire life to be able to afford a Prince ticket and the time has finally come. Can you beauties imagine the kind fun that will be had on Friday night? Prepare to have a concert-induced case of laryngitis.
think know I’ve given you more than enough reasons to attend this year. Be sure to visit the Essence Festival site for all things fabulous for the weekend! Plus follow @HelloBeautiful on Twitter and @HelloBeautifulOfficial on Instagram for exclusive updates from the scene!
Check out this year’s amazing line up of performers in the gallery below!
2014 Essence Festival Line-Up [PHOTOS]
1. See Who's Performing At The 2014 Essence Music Fest1 of 46
2. Prince2 of 46
3. EPIC!! Prince Billboard Awards 2013 Performance LIVE (BBMAS 2013)3 of 46
4. Eve4 of 46
5. Elle Varner5 of 46
6. 1126 of 46
7. 112 - Cupid (Artist Spotlight on Planet Groove)7 of 46
8. Erykah Badu8 of 46
9. Jill Scott9 of 46
10. Jill Scott - He Loves Me Live - 200110 of 46
11. Mary J. Blige11 of 46
12. Stephanie Mills12 of 46
13. Stephanie Mills "I Feel Good All Over/Feel The Fire"13 of 46
14. The Original Pinettes Brass Band14 of 46
15. The Original Pinettes Brass Band 3-23-201215 of 46
16. Sevyn Streeter16 of 46
17. Sevyn Streeter "It Won't Stop"17 of 46
18. Sebastian Mikael18 of 46
19. Robert Glasper19 of 46
20. Robert Glasper Experiment - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Live on KEXP)20 of 46
21. Raheem DeVaughn21 of 46
22. Raheem DeVaughn Live Performance of "Guess Who Loves You More" & "Until"22 of 46
23. PJ Morton23 of 46
24. Naughty By Nature24 of 46
25. Marsha Ambrosious25 of 46
26. Marsha Ambrosious "Butterflies" Acoustic26 of 46
27. Liv Warfield27 of 46
28. Leela James28 of 46
29. Leela James My Joy Live29 of 46
30. Kourtney Heart30 of 46
31. King31 of 46
32. KING Performs "Hey"32 of 46
33. Doug E. Fresh33 of 46
34. Big Sam's Funky Nation34 of 46
35. Amel Larrieux35 of 46
36. Amel Larrieux - Tell Me36 of 46
37. Charlie Wilson37 of 46
38. Ledisi38 of 46
39. Lionel Richie39 of 46