Finding the right foundation for dark skin can be tricky. Too dark and you look like a distant cousin of RuPaul, too light and you’ve earned a starring role at your local funeral parlor.
Our major challenge as Black and Latina women is finding a brand that has yellow, olive or caramel tones. But beyond picking the right hue for your face there are a few other factors that you need to consider before purchasing a foundation.
Research the brands. From consumer comments to beauty blogger reviews, someone has already done the work for you. Google the brand and the product name and chances you will find all the answers to your questions and a few answers you weren’t even thinking of. If you’re lucky you’ll even find a YouTube video.
Choose 2-3 shades that are close to your skin tone. Test the makeup above your jawline on clean dry skin. Evaluate if the color matches in the mirror. The color should blend with your natural skin tone. Make sure you do not see a big line of demarcation, which is indicative of a poor match. If you do not think you have a good match, continue testing shades until you find a suitable color.
Take your besties with you. We all love those sales girls but they are sales girls. They have a goal to meet and commission to make. Their opinion could be biased. So treat your best girlfriend to an afternoon snack or a late dinner and spend the day shopping for new foundation.
Ask for a sample. Don’t feel pressured to buy something that day. Ask the beauty consultant write down the color you decided you liked the best. Don’t be afraid to ask for a sample. Wear the foundation home, and see how you like it outside in natural light.
Follow those four steps and I guarantee you’ll have flawless looking skin. Just remember: your shade will change with the seasons, so come summer and winter you’ll be back at it again.
In case you need a head start, here are a few of my favorite brands that make darker shades. Happy shopping!
Follow me @gorgeousingrey
MAKEUP 101: The Top 12 Foundations For Flawless Dark Skin
1. The Top 12 Foundations For Flawless Dark Skin1 of 13
2. Ashunta Sheriff Perfect Face Dual Foundation & Brush2 of 13
3. Armani Luminous Silk Foundation3 of 13
4. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Oil Free4 of 13
5. BOBBI BROWN Skin Foundation Stick5 of 13
6. IMAN Second To None Luminous Foundation6 of 13
7. Lancôme Teint Visionniare Foundation7 of 13
8. COVER FX CC Cream Time Release Tinted Treatment8 of 13
9. BECCA Ever Matte Shine Proof Foundation9 of 13
10. NARS Sheer Glow Foundation10 of 13
11. Black Opal True Color Creme Stick Foundation11 of 13
12. Urban Decay NAKED Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup12 of 13
13. Make Up For Ever HD Foundation Invisible Cover Foundation13 of 13
MORE ON STYLE & BEAUTY: