Myeisha Essex is in love with all things pop culture, thanks in large part to her hometown. This Los Angeles native has an encyclopedic knowledge of the entertainment industry and she loves a good trivia game. She received her bachelor’s degree in journalism and media studies from Bennett College for Women and her master's from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. Her work can be found in Sister 2 Sister, Harlem World Magazine, Clutch and on Essence.com. When she's not keeping up with the news or learning Beyonce's latest dance moves, she enjoys watching stand-up comedy on YouTube! Follow her on Instagram @more_about_me
“While the digital track sales decline had been expected due to weaker sales in the first three quarters, the digital album downturn comes as more of a surprise as the album bundle had started out the year with a strong first quarter,” the site reports. “Overall for the full year 2013, digital track sales fell 5.7% from 1.34 billion units to 1.26 billion units while digital album sales fell 0.1% to 117.6 million units from the previous year’s total of 117.7 million.”
But on the bright side, the number of platinum-selling albums did increase to 13 titles in 2013, compared to the 10 in 2012. A few of the top-selling bodies of work included Justin Timberlake’s 20/20 Experience, Eminem’s The Marshall Mathers LP 2, Bruno Mars’s Unorthodox Jukebox, Drake’s Nothing Was the Same, Jay Z’s Magna Carta…Holy Grail, and of course Queen’s Beyonce, which surpassed the million mark in less than a week.
But, despite a small handful of successful artists, Billboard reports album sales suffered an 8.4 percent decline and industry executives are trying to attribute the reasons why.
12. April: Kicks Off The Epic "The Mrs. Carter World Tour"
12 of 30
13. April: Pepsi Max Unveils Global Beyonce Campaign
13 of 30
14. April: H&M Launches Swimsuit Campaign
14 of 30
15. May: Anniversary Trip to Cuba
15 of 30
16. May: One Glass of Wine Shuts Down All Rumors
16 of 30
17. May: Met Gala
17 of 30
18. May: Beyonce Cover British Vogue
18 of 30
19. June: Headlines 'Chime For Change'
19 of 30
20. August: Shatters Instagram With Short 'Do
20 of 30
21. August: Pixie Cut Turns Into A Blunt Bob At V Festival
21 of 30
22. August: Budweiser Made In America Festival Benefiting The United Way
22 of 30
23. September: Watch The Throne! Jay & Bey Top Forbes' Richest Couple List
23 of 30
24. October: The Photobomb That Really Wasn't
24 of 30
25. November: The Quiet Before The Storm
25 of 30
26. December: Bey Ousts Kim As Bings' Most Searched Celeb
26 of 30
27. December: Beyoncé
27 of 30
28. December: Bey Shops It Up At Walmart, Clearly Ignores Target
28 of 30
29. December: Bey Attends Her Visual Album Screening
29 of 30
Continue reading ‘Beyonce’ Wasn’t Enough To Save Digital Music Sales In 2013
BOW DOWN: 2013 Was The Year Of Beyonce
Did you know HelloBeautiful is on Instagram? Follow us!
Follow HelloBeautiful On Twitter!
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook to stay on top of your favorite black celebrities:
[ione_facebook_like_box url_segment=hellobeautifulofficial height="260"]