The women of Delta Sigma Theta are celebrating their centennial anniversary in a big way. According to reports2, the sorority will be opening an elementary school in Haiti this month.
Located just southwest of Port-au-Prince in a village called Chérette, the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc School, Cynthia M.A. Butler McIntyre campus will open on June 15.
The purpose of the new learning facility is to provide clean water, education and newer technologies to children in the Caribbean country.
MUST READ: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Reaches 100 Years!
MUST READ: Happy Founders Day AKA: Lessons I’ve Learned As A Pretty Girl
Here’s what DST president Cynthia M.A. Butler McIntyre, who the school is named after, had to say about the groundbreaking project:
“The celebrations planned throughout our centennial year have not deterred us from doing what we were called to do – to serve,” said Delta Sigma Theta’s national president, Cynthia M. A. Butler-McIntyre. “Although we no longer see the images of Haiti in the news, the women of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority have not forgotten the devastated faces of our Haitian brothers and sisters after the earthquake three years ago.”
Congrats to the ladies of DST on their major accomplishment!
Find out 8 other trailblazing moments from the nine Black Greek-lettered fraternities and sororities below.
1. Alpha Kappa Alpha became the first sorority to operate a federal job training center in 1965 with the Cleveland Job Corps.
2. Sigma Gamma Rho became the first African-American collegiate sorority to be founded on a predominantly white campus in 1922.
3. Kappa Alpha Psi’s Guide Right program has provided young men with educational, occupational and spiritual guidance since 1922.
4. Omega Psi Phi requires each of it’s members to be a lifetime Member at Large in the NAACP. The organization also gives an annual $350,000 gift to the United Negro College Fund.
5. Alpha Phi Alpha sparked the campaign to build the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial in Washington D.C.
6. Zeta Phi Beta was the first Greek letter organization to charter chapters in Africa.
7. Iota Phi Theta launched the Developing Better Fatherhood Project to combat “the issue of the retention of fathers in the lives of their children.”
8. Phi Beta Sigma sponsored the Million-Man March in 1995.
What Makes The Men Of Omega Psi Phi Successful?
Homophobes Angry Over Gay Kappa Wedding [POLL]
Check Out This Gallery
Blac Chyna Spotted Out After Dissolving Facial Fillers
Beyonce Sets The Internet Ablaze With Sexy See-Through Dress At The The 2023 Gold Party
Angela Bassett Reveals The Movie Offers Stopped Rolling In For 18 Months After Her First Oscar Nomination
7 White Male Performers We Thought Were Black Because Of Their Voices
The Internet Reacts To Chloe Bailey And Damson Idris' Steamy' Swarm' Sex Scene
Tami Roman Gets Candid About Her Battle With Body Dysmorphia
Red Carpet Rundown: The Hottest Looks At The Essence Black Women In Hollywood Event
How To: Give It To Him Like You Mean It