We’ve been in love with Kerry Washington ever since she played sassy, tell-it-like-it-is Chenille in the 2001 hit film, Save the Last Dance.
She’s since gone on to star in leading roles alongside Jamie Foxx, Samuel L. Jackson, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. And today, she has us absolutely obsessed with her starring role in the ABC hit drama “Scandal.”
Not only is she the first Black actress to play a lead role in a primetime TV series in nearly 40 years, she’s down to earth, fashionable and never misses an opportunity to smile and give thanks.
In a recent interview with US Weekly, the award-winning actress shared a few fun facts about herself. Some are obvious, others are not so obvious. Take a look at 25 things you may not know about Kerry Washington, and be sure to tell us what your thoughts on the Hollywood starlet below.
1. I am obsessed with pineapple.
2. My grandparents’ names are on the memorial wall at Ellis Island
3. Like my character Olivia Pope, I was on the swim team in high school.
4. I have a Tina Turner impression that I’m very proud of since the age of 9.
5. As a kid, Splash was my favorite movie.
6. I was very resistant to Twitter. (She now tweets as @kerrywashington.)
7. I went to the same Bronx Boys & Girls Club as Jennifer Lopez.
8. I studied yoga and traditional Indian theater in India right after college.
9. While attending the Spence School, I was in a nine-girl a cappella singing group called Triple Trio.
10. I’m a huge Game of Thrones fan.
11. Every year on my birthday, I get my parents a gift.
12. I’m named after Ireland’s country Kerry.
13. I love to dance.
14. I didn’t get my license until my mid-twenties.
15. The first musical that I truly fell in love with was Into the Woods.
16. I constantly make weird faces into the cameras at work.
17. Disney theme parks make me very happy.
18. I have seen every episode of Super Soul Sunday on OWN.
19. I designed an interdisciplinary major at George Washington University.
20. I was also an RA at GWU’s Thurston Hall.
21. The first car I ever leased was a Prius and I’ve had one ever since.
22. I’ve testified before Congress with Robert Redford and John Legend in support of the arts.
23. I do not drink coffee.
24. I love take-offs on planes.
25. I started a Scandal tradition: Before shooting a new show we scream the episode number, applaud, and bang on furniture.
Check Out This Gallery