It’s the most wonderful time of the year, the holiday season. Yes by now you should be knee deep in holiday preparations, gift shopping, and meal planning or preparing to take off to go visit family. If you’ve recently taken your relationship further in the commitment department then you may be doing things differently this year by going to spend the holidays with your in-laws.
For this story in-laws will be defined as the family of your significant other whether or not you’re married. I do this because when you’re at the stage of marriage the introduction and impression you make on his family is CRUCIAL. This one visit could make or break the relationship. So I’ve conjured up a list of important points that will help you score big with in-laws this holiday season.
- Do not suck up: People can genuinely smell fake from a mile away. The not so genuine compliments on your new mama’s uber festive Christmas sweater are unnecessary. Be pleasant and more importantly be yourself.
- Do not sit out on the sidelines: You are not just another friend your partner is bringing home to chill with you may potentially be a cherished member of the family one day so play your part. Offer to help out in the kitchen and when dinner is over help clean up. Participate in family traditions or activities such as caroling or watching the game.
- Do not participate in disagreements: There may be a member of the family under the same roof who does not get along with another member, that is their issue. Be cordial with everyone and treat them equally. All families argue and some people will never get along, however keep in mind that you are coming to dinner with a clean slate. Create your own relationship with the family instead of listening to opinion of others.
- Do not arrive empty handed: Always bring something to the house you’re visiting, and this does not only apply to in laws. Instead of the traditional bottle of wine, bring a dessert or even better one your partner’s favorite dishes. Always bring a small hostess gift for your partner’s mother.
- Do not ignore your boo: It’s a big step introducing your new love to the family, believe me your partner has a case of the sweaty palms too. You’re in this together, do not hesitate to tell the family about some of the fun activities (outside of the bedroom of course) that you’ve done together. Find out about your partner pre-relationship, you may learn something. Don’t be surprised if a few nekkid booty baby pictures come out of the woodwork.
My best advice is to go into this exciting and often nerve wrecking experience with no expectations and lots of acceptance. Also please be yourself, this is not a massive skill testing quiz, it’s really just another phase in life. The new family just wants to know that you have their son or daughter’s best interests at heart.
Do you have any crazy stories of when you met your in-laws for the first time? Share with us in the comments section below and email me @goddessintellect.com.
Check Out This Gallery Of Your Favorite Celebs!