With the end of summer approaching it’s time to take advantage of the last bits of warm weather left. Keeping your skin smooth and soft is a must and exfoliating will still have you looking fresh. Here’s a guide from SheKnows.com on the best way to shave off those dead skin cells:
Items you need for exfoliation:
- Exfoliating cleanser
- Loofah, body brush or exfoliating gloves
- Pumice stone
- Body lotion
How to exfoliate:
1. Before stepping into the shower, brush your dry skin with your loofah, body brush or exfoliating gloves. This will help remove the loose skin and prepare your skin for the exfoliating process. Begin with the soles of your feet, working your way up your body.
2. Get into the shower and wet your body from head to toe. Don’t exfoliate your skin if you are sunburned or have any open cuts or wounds.
3. Use a pumice stone on your feet to eliminate rough spots and calluses. If your feet are extremely rough, soak them in a basin of warm water mixed with a cup of milk for 30 minutes before getting into the shower.
4. Apply your exfoliating cleanser to your loofah or gloves. Begin scrubbing your body in a circular motion starting with the bottoms of your feet and working your way up. When you reach the bikini area, don’t scrub too hard because the skin is very sensitive.
5. Use a body brush to exfoliate your back and other hard-to-reach places.
6. Be gentle on your face, particularly around your eyes and mouth. Use an exfoliating product especially formulated for the face, which is gentler than products designed to be used on the body.
7. Don’t forget about your hands. You want them to look and feel soft and smooth too!
8. Rinse your body with lukewarm water, follow by the coldest water you can stand. Apply a shower gel to soften your skin, if you’d like.
9. After stepping out of the shower, apply a moisturizing body lotion all over. Body lotions and facial moisturizers containing alpha or beta hydroxy acids are ideal choices because these acids continue to remove dead skin cells.
10. Use body moisturizer once a day. Exfoliation is drying to the skin, so you must keep your skin hydrated.
To get more tips and find a list of great exfoliating products click here for the full article!