The fashion mavericks tell us what is in style, at the start of every season. Often times, they forget to mention what is no longer in style! I can’t count how many times I’ve seen someone destroy a fashion trend by wearing it past its season or by simply rocking it the wrong way! Learn what the trends are for this Fall and how to wear them correctly!
1. The Statement Necklace: DO remember that bigger is better! Fall’s supersize necklaces, especially the amazing crystal stunners at Burberry, are a great style shortcut: Slip a large necklace over any outfit and—voilà—your look is instantly fall 2008.
Just DON’T wear yours outside your winter coat—something as precious and pretty as that should be kept under wraps!
2. Long Gloves: Once reserved for fifties prom styles, elbow-length gloves resurfaced this season topping off daytime and evening looks alike. DO buy a pair in a versatile color like black, brown or navy—you’ll want to live in them all season long.
But DON’T forget to take them off when you’re not outside: Only grannies and pageant queens wear gloves indoors!
3. Western Plaids: Bold plaids like the ones Ralph Lauren whipped up are an easy DO to pull off this season: Simply throw on this trendy new piece with basic black separates that you already have in your closet, like a turtleneck or knee-length dress.
Just DON’T add cowboy boots and a studded belt unless you’re really at home in the range. (Yes, that means you, city slicker.)
4. Bow Blouses: It’s hard to pull off a bow blouse without looking too prissy, so follow this fool-proof style rule: DO choose a dainty blouse like the ladylike numbers spotted on the Bill Blass runway to dress up jeans or a basic black skirt, and DON’T forget to tuck it in!
A tailored top that’s untucked looks unflattering and super sloppy.
5. Dark Beauty: Givenchy’s moody, head-to-toe black looks made waves this season: Madonna liked them so much, the trendsetting star tapped Givenchy designer Ricardo Tischi to design costumes for her Sticky & Sweet tour—and imitating Madonna can be a DO!
Just DON’T go for the dominatrix look: Leave the leather pants to Madge, and just seek out a black ruffled blouse to wear with dark jeans or black pants.
6. Full, Knee-length Skirts: From Diane von Furstenberg to Michael Kors, fall runways saw the return of the full, knee-length skirt. While it’s a flattering look for both day and night, DON’T spoil it by wearing flats, which can make legs appear shorter than they really are.
DO pair with heels and a belted waist for a demure silhouette.
What fashion Don’ts do you protest?!