Myeisha Essex is in love with all things pop culture, thanks in large part to her hometown. This Los Angeles native has an encyclopedic knowledge of the entertainment industry and she loves a good trivia game. She received her bachelor’s degree in journalism and media studies from Bennett College for Women and her master's from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. Her work can be found in Sister 2 Sister, Harlem World Magazine, Clutch and on Essence.com. When she's not keeping up with the news or learning Beyonce's latest dance moves, she enjoys watching stand-up comedy on YouTube! Follow her on Instagram @more_about_me
Mark and Dana Michelle Gerstle, the couple George Zimmerman recently rescued from an overturned SUV, say they want nothing to do with the man who was acquitted of murdering Trayvon Martin.
According to reports, the Gerstles have refused to talk publicly about Zimmerman for fear of portraying him as a hero.
“They are very grateful to Zimmerman for what he did, but they do not want to get involved,” a source told The Daily Mail. “There is so much hatred directed towards him they have got to think about their own family. There are a lot of crazies out there. If they say anything in support of him it could backfire.”
Zimmerman’s attorney Mark O’Mara confirmed the reports today, announcing that the Gerstles cancelled a planned news conference. “They don’t want to be associated with George,” O’Mara said. The family, who really wanted to thank George for doing what he did publicly … realized that in any way connecting yourself with George Zimmerman is right now very toxic.”
As we reported earlier, the former neighborhood watch caption came to the aid of Dana and Mark Gerstle and their two children after their Ford Explorer rolled over on a Sanford, Fla. highway last week.
1. Lauryn Hill is currently serving jail time for tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
1 of 9
2. Michael Vick served time for dog fighting. (Photo: PRPhotos)
2 of 9
3. In 2007, Lil Wayne was jailed for smoking marijuana and for possession of a pistol outside his tour bus. (Photo: AP)
3 of 9
4. Rapper Ja Rule was jailed for possession of a weapon and tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
4 of 9
5. Wesley Snipes was jailed for failing to file federal income tax returns.
5 of 9
6. Singer Ron Isley was jailed for tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
6 of 9
7. Lil Kim served time for three counts of perjury and one count of conspiracy related to a shooting outside a Manhattan studio. No one was injured.
7 of 9
8. Martin Luther King, Jr. was jailed several times for peacefully protesting during the Civil Rights Movement. (Photo: AP)
8 of 9
9. Domestic abuse victim Marissa Alexander was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2012 for firing two warning shots into a wall. (Photo: Hellobeautiful)
9 of 9
Continue reading Family Rescued By Zimmerman Don’t Want Any Association With Him
Folks Jailed While Zimmerman Walks Free
George Zimmerman walks free for the killing of unarmed teen, Trayvon Martin. This gallery examines other cases of celebs and famous folks who served time for offenses that can be considered far less serious.