Did anybody else not get the memo that January would be trolling season for “Presidential hopeful” Mike Huckabee? The Republican, and newborn pop culture critic, has released another of his opinions from his latest book God, Guns, Grits and Gravy (sounds like a Three 6 Mafia album) to PEOPLE magazine in a new profile. After disrespectfully referring to Jay Z as a pimp to his wife Beyonce, in an earlier excerpt, he now also disapproves of the how the Obamas have allowed the singer to become an advocate of President Obama‘s presidency and that Malia and Sasha are fans of the multiple Grammy Award winner too.
Through the magazine, he disclosed how he came to questioning the Obamas parenting skills:
“I don’t understand how on one hand they can be such doting parents and so careful about the intake of everything – how much broccoli they eat and where they go to school and making sure they’re kind of sheltered and shielded from so many things – and yet they don’t see anything that might not be suitable for either a preteen or a teen in some of the lyrical content and choreography of Beyoncé, who has sort of a regular key to the door [of the White House.”]
From his Jay Z quip before, he had used the couple’s smash hit “Drunk In Love” as an example of how inappropriate the singer is as a role model for young girls, and that considering its “surfboarding” references, her lyrics and moves would be “best left for the privacy of her bedroom.” Oh really? *Rubs hands, puffs up chest* Alright. Here we go.
Why exactly is Huckabee suddenly so concerned about Beyoncé’s bedroom moves? Clearly, he watched the Grammy Awards or attended their On The Run tour because the actual video itself is pretty tame, so who’s the closeted Queen Bey fan here? And why so bent on what the First Daughters are listening to anyway? Is he even friendly with the Obamas?
We get that Malia and Sasha are highly influential teens and are often watched like hawks, but it’s always interesting how political bigots like Huckabee and Bill O’Reilly (who also tried it in criticizing Beyoncé) randomly become pressed on what is of interest to the Black community, but have done little to nothing for Black people except ridicule. If you can’t sleep at night knowing that Malia and Sasha might possibly know the words to “Drunk In Love,” why don’t you write-up a lists of tunes that are age appropriate for them? It’s doubtful that Mr. Huckabee has Liv Warfield on his iPhone.
Also, no one will always agree with everything Beyoncé’s done in her career. Well, a few of those Beyhive and Beygency members might. Oh, and don’t even get us started on Jay Z’s verse on “Drunk In Love.” But as an artist, she, or any female entertainer, are allowed the right to do as they choose without having to be slut-shamed for it. Women are often seen as (only) sexual objects or bashed when proud of their sexuality, and it’s a fine line that often gets blurred or scraggly real quick.
What Huckabee’s trying to do is tape a big scarlet letter “A” on Beyoncé’s forehead and we’re not here for it. Every time he’s mentioned her in the last week, it was only connected to sex and he describes her as some kind of clueless puppet. Seriously? I guess he wasn’t a huge supporter of her bigger than ever pro-feminist stance for the last two years however. Maybe he wasn’t watching then.
He must have run out of ideas or stories for his book, in addition to picking and choosing when he feels like caring about young Black girls or Black issues. And he’s so obvious with his examples. Let me use one of the biggest stars in the world who just happens to be a Black woman to talk about sex in the media or what’s wrong with America today.
If he’s going to go down that road, there are tons of examples of which sex in pop culture or the news was largely disturbing and uncalled for. Where was he when that 99 percent all-White UPenn fraternity ordered a blow-up sex doll, named her Beyoncé—because of its dark skin–and had the temerity to pose with it in their Christmas card? Aren’t images like that damaging to our young girls? Besides, he wouldn’t care at all what Malia and Sasha were listening if they weren’t the First Daughters. They are real issues affecting young women in America, like the prevalence of rape culture, which their father, President Obama has strongly vouched against with programs and open discussions on encouraging a safer environment. What have you done, Mr. Huckabee? Yeah, we didn’t forget about this incident.
Perhaps he’s just highly misguided on his thoughts considering he swerved from applauding the Obamas as attentive parents to trying to pin them as aloof guardians. Still, it is funny how one of Huckabee’s previous books was titled Character Makes A Difference, yet what does all of this Beyonce and Obama-bashing say about him when he’s clearly using them both to promote his book? There are real concerns of unequal pay, sexism and violence affecting women, especially those of color, who don’t live as privileged as the Obama girls do. Wake up Mr. Huckabee.
Crowning Glory: King Bey's 52 Best Hair Moves
1. Beyonce's Hair Has A Mind All Its Own1 of 53
2. You'll Never Be Able To Recreate This Move2 of 53
3. The Snap Back3 of 53
4. The Ultimate Accessory4 of 53
5. The Infamous Diva Fan5 of 53
6. Pump Up The Pompadour6 of 53
7. Caress Your Tresses7 of 53
8. I'll Teach You8 of 53
9. The Signature Move9 of 53
10. My Ponytail Is LAID10 of 53
11. Do Not Try This At Home11 of 53
12. The Hair Fluff12 of 53
13. Does Your Hair Laugh At Jokes?13 of 53
14. Beyonce's Hair Breathes14 of 53
15. Shake Them Curls!15 of 53
16. Beyonce's Hair Works It, Even When She Hulahoops16 of 53
17. Short Hair Don't Care17 of 53
18. Headbanger18 of 53
19. Oh...A Duet?19 of 53
20. Super Bey20 of 53
21. Just Look At Those Coils21 of 53
22. Watch It Bounce22 of 53
23. It's Contagious23 of 53
24. Even With Short Hair24 of 53
25. How Could One Simple Touch...25 of 53
26. Beyonce's Curls26 of 53
27. Even When Beyonce Goes Ratchet27 of 53
28. YESSS BEYONCE, GIVE ME LIFE!28 of 53
29. All She's Doing Is Fixing Her Hair29 of 53
30. Bey's Signature Fan Blows Back Her Tresses30 of 53
31. The Patented Look Back31 of 53
32. Uh Oh Uh Oh Uh Oh32 of 53
33. And You Get Some Hair, And You Get Some Hair33 of 53
34. Bouncin' & Behavin'34 of 53
35. No One Tosses A Pony Tail Like Bey35 of 53
36. Head Of Fire36 of 53
37. Your Hair Flip<Beyonce's Hair Flip37 of 53
38. Don't You Dare Touch The King's Tresses38 of 53
39. Golden Girl39 of 53
40. The Swing To End All Swings40 of 53
41. Ever Got Your Hair Stuck In Your Coat?41 of 53
42. Itchy Scalp?42 of 53
43. Bey's Braids43 of 53
44. In Order To Effectively Hair Flip...44 of 53
45. When I Need To Get The Curls Out Of My Face...45 of 53
46. When Your Hair Is In The Way46 of 53
47. About That One Pesky Curl...47 of 53
48. Double Bounce48 of 53
49. Even Beyonce's Hair Gets Excited49 of 53
50. I Can't Stop Watching Bey Stroke Her Hair50 of 53
51. Beyonce Loves A Good Curly Moment51 of 53
52. The Ponytail Toss52 of 53
53. Her Curls Breathe53 of 53