The very thought of breast cancer is a terrifying thing. A frustrating thing. A confusing thing. A depressing thing. Which is one of the many reasons why some women avoid being screened regularly.
But the problem with this is that, if there is a problem, and it’s not diagnosed until it’s at an advanced stage (which is exactly what happens with a lot of black women), it can tie a doctor’s hands in terms of fighting the cancer and saving your life.
So, if you think about it, one of the most positive things you can do is to get screened!
But, you’re probably wondering when you should get screened, as well as how you can prepare yourself as best as possible to make the process as smooth as possible.
Breast Screening: Your Age Matters
According to the American Cancer Society, age is one factor that helps determine when, and how often, you should be screened:
• Women in their 20s and 30s should get clinical breast exams at least once every three years
• Women in their 40s and above should get clinical breast exams at least once a year
• Women in their 40s and older should get a mammogram once a year
But not all women are the same when it comes to breast cancer. Some women with special considerations may need to start their screenings earlier or more often than others, such as women with:
• A previous breast cancer diagnosis
• Benign conditions found on breast biopsies
• Dense breasts
• A strong family history of young-onset breast or ovarian cancer in either a maternal or paternal first-degree relative (i.e. a parent, a sibling or a child)
• A history of prior chest wall radiation before age 30 for Hodgkin’s disease
If any of these apply to you, talk to your doctor about the breast screening plan that is right for you.
The Best Ways To Prepare For Your Screening Appointment
There are certain steps you can take to help ensure that your appointment is not only successful, but that you walk away understanding what you need to do next.
According to Mayo Clinic, one of the best ways to have a more seamless screening procedure is to write down any information that you think will be helpful for your doctor and the other medical technicians who’ll be providing your care:
• Write down any symptoms you’re experiencing, including any that may seem unrelated.
• Write down key personal information, including any major stresses or recent life changes.
• Write down your family history of cancer, including types of cancer, the age at diagnosis, whether each person survived, and how they are related to you.
• Make a list of all medications, vitamins or supplements that you’re taking.
• Keep all of your records that relate to prior breast screenings. Organize your records in a binder or folder that you can take to your appointments.
• Write down questions to ask your doctor.
MUST READ: Mammogram Guidelines: What’s Changed?
Your time with your doctor and/or medical technicians is important, so preparing a list of questions will help make the most of your time together. List your questions from most important to least important in case time runs out.
Some of those questions might be:
• What tests do I need to have?
• Will this hurt?
• How soon will the results be available?
• What if the results show I have cancer? What do I do next?
• Do I need any additional tests?
• Why are these the most appropriate tests for me?
• When do I need to make another appointment?
• Can I have a copy for my records?
• Does my insurance plan cover the tests and treatment you’re recommending?
• Is there anything additional that I can do to help keep my breasts healthy?
• Am I performing self-exams correctly?
• Are there any brochures or other printed material that I can take with me? What websites or books do you recommend?
In addition to the questions that you’ve prepared to ask your doctor, don’t hesitate to ask additional questions that may pop into your head during your appointment.
MUST WATCH: Mayo Clinic Breast Cancer Education Tool
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions as well. Being ready to answer them fully and honestly is extremely important to getting the best care possible. Your doctor may ask:
• Do you have a family history of breast cancer?
• How old were you when you first started menstruating?
• Do you do monthly breast checks?
• How do your breasts feel? Are you experiencing any symptoms?
Many breast screening clinics are designed to help calm patients and help them feel more at ease. But Mayo Clinic suggest that there are also things you can do to further elevate your own comfort level:
Dress comfortably. Wear comfortable pants, such as yoga pants. Generally, you’ll be asked to remove your shirt and bra and wear a gown as a top.
Bring as few valuables as possible. More than likely, you’ll be asked to store your belongings in a locker in a dressing area.
Bring a book. You may have a short wait time before your screening, or you may have more than one type of test. Having something on hand to help ease your nerves and distract you can be very helpful.
Bring a relative or friend. Sometimes it can be difficult to absorb all the information provided during an appointment. Someone who accompanies you may remember something that you missed or forgot. In addition, it can simply be a great comfort to have a supportive shoulder to lean on.
To learn more about breast cancer, visit Mayo Clinic at: www.mayoclinic.org
Also On HelloBeautiful:
1. Blue. #May10 #NYC
2. Blue Ivy & Jay Z Sip Tea
Blue is surely the apple of Daddy's eye.
3. Blue Ivy & Beyonce Smell The Roses
Beyonce seems like the coolest mom.
4. Blue Ivy & Beyonce Soar The Big Skies
5. Blue Ivy & Mommy
6. Daddy & Me
Blue Ivy walks across mommy's at-home photoshoot, but it's the most adorable photobomb ever!
8. One Big Happy Family
The royal family, Bey, Jay & Blue are all out shopping and we're sure they spent our entire life's savings in 30 minutes or less.
9. Beyoncé, Jay Z & Blue in Beverly Hills — Nov. 11
Beyonce in these heels though?!
10. Beyoncé & Blue in NYC — Nov. 4
Look at Blue in her adorable little bow!
11. Beyoncé & Blue spotted in NYC — Nov. 4
Blue holding on to mommy for dear life.
12. Beyoncé & Blue spotted in NYC — Nov. 4
Momma Bey looking fierce with her mini me in tow.
13. Blue dressed as Michael Jackson.
14. Blue & Ivy
Just look at that face. Seriously, Jay could never deny this child! She knows how to make all his mean mugs!
15. Beyoncé, Jay Z & Blue in Beverly Hills — Nov. 11
Look at that cutie!
16. Beyoncé, Jay Z & Blue in Beverly Hills — Nov. 11
OMG Blue in a top knot? Yasss!
Blue has grown up to be an adorable toddler! We're swooning over this photo of her playing on the beach.
Looks like Blue is taking a walk in mom's shoes...literally.
19. Beyoncé & Blue
There's nothing like being cuddled up in mom's arms.
Blue is looking all kinds of adorable! Look at that left hand go! LOL.
21. Blue On The Big Screen
Bey & Jay look at Blue during a video played at an "On The Run" tour stop. How precious!
22. Pardon Blue's Back
She's growing up so fast! We're loving the top knot. Take that Blue Ivy hair critics!
23. Jump Around
Bey & Blue share an adorable moment on the trampoline. Hello summer!
24. Rocking Some Cute Ponytails
Blue Ivy was spotted with a new 'do! Bey & Jay's mini-me was holding on to her father during a little day stroll.
25. Strolling With Mom & Dad
Blue, Jay and Bey all spotted in East Hampton.
26. Blue Has A Manicure Day With Mama Bey
"Me and my Blue, and my Blue Blue, riding🐝"
27. Hanging Out With Mom
Baby Blue is walking to the door, and it looks like Bey is trying to keep up!
28. Trying On Some Heels
Will Blue be slaying a performance in the near future?
29. Holding On To Mom
Blue looks like she has something to say to Bey.
30. Playing A Game Of Tennis
Blue walks on the tennis court.
31. Cuddling With Mom
Blue & Beyonce have some much-needed cuddle time.
32. Blue Ivy
"The blueprint 🐝"
33. Bey & Blue Take A Stroll
Doesn't Blue look adorable with her colorful dress and cute hair ribbon?
34. The Carter Lounge Together
The family was seen out and about.
35. Jay Z Carries Blue While Bey Looks On
Jay carries Blue in his arms.
36. Leading The Way
Blue Ivy looks too cute with her bowler hat and Mama Bey watching from behind. She's really growing up!
37. Out On The Town
Blue Ivy & Momma Bey enjoy some much deserved time off in Spain.
38. Traveling With Mom and Dad
Blue is used to traveling with Mama Bey and Poppa Jay, but she also looked a little flustered at some moments. It's ok, baby Blue!
39. A Day At The Park
Poppa Jay Z lets Blue Ivy have her way with the bouncy horse.
40. It's A Family Affair
Beyonce, Jay and Blue jetsetting in Dublin.
Blue dressed up like a hipster and plays a quick game of peekaboo! How adorable!
42. OMG It's Blue's Beautiful Face!
FINALLY! We get to see how beautiful Blue is! Look at the adorable headband! "Blue 💙"
43. Blue Ivy
Life's a beach!
44. Brooklyn Stand Up!
"Beyonce & Blue"
45. Blue Ivy's Got Her Own iPhone
"Momma, what's your password?"
46. Beyonce's Lazy Day With Blue
"Momma, I asked you for your password!"
47. When Blue Ivy Takes Your Phone, Beyonce Be Like...
"Fine, I'll go ask Daddy!"
48. Blue Ivy On Tour
"Bey & Blue"
49. It's Playtime
Beyonce & Blue take some time out to play.
50. A Chilly Day In NYC
"Beyoncé, Jay Z and Blue Ivy in NYC - Jan. 19"
51. All Bundled Up
The royal family makes their way to their fancy car.
52. Kisses From Dad
Blue's all bundled up, getting love from Daddy.
53. Blue At The White House
Blue Ivy's taking after mommy and writing a letter.
54. Blue Loves Bo
The White House pup, Bo is showing Blue Ivy some love.
55. The Carters At The White House
Check out the royal family checking out the scene at the White House.
56. It's Christmas Time Again
Blue and Bey checking out the White House Christmas tree.
57. Blue Lovin' Bo
Blue Ivy, dressed like a Princess, showing Bo some love.
58. Like Father, Like Daughter
Blue playing dress up with Daddy's hat.
59. Fun Times With Mommy
Blue Ivy spends some QT with mommy.
60. Mommy & Me
Blue and Bey take a break for some snacks.
61. Silvery Blue
Beyonce carries Blue, while the adorable toddler rocks a metallic jacket that we want and need.
62. The Holy Grail
Blue, Bey & Jay
63. One Big Happy Family
"#miami #newyear #2014"
"Beyoncé & Blue 💙"
65. Blue & Daddy In A Blue Jacket
"Jay and Blue 💙 #NewYear #2014 #Miami"
66. Hold On To Me
"Happy New Year Mommy!"
67. Dora Dora Dora The Explorer
"Beyoncé, Blue and Dora the Explorer"
68. Daddy & Bey
"Look over there Blue, you own that too."
69. Blue's Big B-Day
"Mommy make sure they can only see the back of my head."
70. Painted Faces For Blue's Bday
"Let me get down Mommy, I wanna play!"
71. Kisses From Mommy
Beyonce and Blue prepping for Momma Tina's Masquerade Ball
72. Talk To The Hand!
Beyonce, Jay Z and Blue Ivy were spotted leaving Joey's restaurant in Miami, on January 8th, and Blue had a message for the paps! Talk to the hand!
73. Me & My Daddy
While Beyonce's arm rested, Jay carried Blue from Joey's restaurant, in Miami on January 8th.
74. Blue's First Words
"I'm ready to slay right along with you, Ma!"
75. Imagine The Sound Of This Lullaby
A newborn Blue Ivy gets serenaded by her superstar mother.
76. Don't Mess With Blue!
Every now and again, Blue Ivy reminds you...she is her father's child!
77. All Gold Everything
Blue Ivy takes after her dad's swag. The inseparable duo were spotted in South Beach, Miami illuminating the streets outside their hotel with their yellow luster!
78. All Of The Lights!
"Mommy! All the pretty colors are so blinding! I'm...just..so..overwhelmed! When's my shot coming?! When's my shot coming?!" Blue plays on set with Bey at her 'Blow' video shoot.
79. Hey Blue!
"I can be happy sometimes, see?"
80. Blue Ivy With Daddy
"Why are we clapping, again? I'm not in the shot."
81. Jay Z Tries To Get Blue To Listen To "Magna Carta Holy Grail"
"Daddy, I'm more of a Nas fan."
82. Stepping With Mom
"Wait, Ma. I want the camera to see all angles of this sick dress!"
83. Splashin' & Playin'
"Mom, this water is clean, right? Because I'm not trying to splash in water I can't trust."
84. Beyonce Discusses Important Matters
"Mommy, I completely get it. Yes, I promise to watch the throne."
85. Mommy's Hugs
"Ok, Ma. I love you to pieces, but I like oxygen too." Bey may be the Queen, but this scene from her video "Blue" makes it look as if she can't get enough of being Mom.
86. Blue Ivy Twirls
"Aaaahh, I'm having so much fun not thinking about anything...wiippeee...oh, wait...getting a little sick."
87. Just So You Know...
"I run things. Don't get it twisted."
88. Mommy & Me Loungin'
"Oh, Mommy, I'm so tired of seeing the wigs you snatched last night all on our floor. It's so exhausting. Like, when're they getting picked up? Not now? Oh. Ok."
89. A Kiss For Blue
"Mommy, let me sleep, dang!"
90. Slurpin' On That Milk...Slurpin' Slurpin' On That Milk
"Mommy, gimme that bottle!"
We could watch this adorable GIF of Blue Ivy nonstop forever!
92. Jay Sneaks In Kisses
"Dadddd! Get..Away!..I don't want...No, ugh..No kisses!"
93. Blue Stares Back...
"Hey! Who's that?!"
94. Blue Still Doesn't Get Why Anyone's Here
"No, really, who are you? You're getting to close."
95. Blue and Bey Out For Lunch
"I'm over this now. People just won't let us be. Mom, why can't we just be?!"
96. Blue Is One Tough Cookie
"Ma, please let me just kick them in the face. Like, please, I can't see through all these lights."
97. Blue Jetsets With Jay
"Dad, do we own this boat? I just figured we owned everything, so..."
98. Beyonce Keeps Blue Covered
"Mommy, I think you forgot my feet. I'm cold right now. Are we inside?"
99. Beyonce LOVES Her Blue
Look at that face, how could you not kiss it?!
100. Blue Swings With Mommy
"I like the swing, this is nice, Mom--Oh, I'll let you pose for that shot."