When you were growing up, your mother, grandmother, or even your friends may have given you advice about certain things you should NEVER wear – like stripes and plaids, white after Labor Day, or white stockings and black heels. But is it still a RULE? Or is it just a RUMOR?
Your skin tone, your body shape or weight, and your own personal image standards determine many things in fashion. What a model would wear on the runway may not necessarily be what a high school teacher, or lawyer would wear. More often than not when we rely on the media to rule our wardrobe, we run the risk of becoming a Fashion Victim.
I found 10 rules the fashion experts say our closets should live by – which ones do you think should still apply and which are just rumors?
- Never wear horizontal stripes or large prints
- Never mix patterns or prints.
- Full figured women should never wear animal prints.
- Never wear white shoes or linen after Labor Day.
- Never wear stockings darker than your shoes.
- Your shoes should match your purse and your belt.
- Heels with straps and open toed shoes should only be worn in the summer.
- Don’t wear a mini skirt if you’re over 30.
- Never wear a white bra with a black shirt.
- Never wear white stockings with black heels.
I still hate white shoes – period! I think they should only exist for faithful church goers and the ushers who greet you at the door. But a good pair of white distressed denim with a big beige wooly sweater screams fashion in my mind.
8 Style Tips We Learned From Zendaya Coleman
1. Dress up your stripes.1 of 8
2. Crop tops can be classy.2 of 8
3. Wear grown-up florals.3 of 8
4. Give just a hint of sexy.4 of 8
5. Commit to your look.5 of 8
6. Nail effortless chic.6 of 8
7. Go for the unexpected.7 of 8
8. Keep an all white outfit from looking boring.8 of 8