While I absolutely adore my curls and get a kick out of finding new ways to wear them, my blow-outs warrant affectionate head turns from the opposite sex and give pause to a few girls who didn’t want to look my way to begin with.
Most are amazed because I am quick to confess that I do them right over my tiny bathroom sink. But the unbelievable part is certainly that it usually takes me less than 20 minutes. Which in my style book, makes it the best blow-out ever! Since I love you beauties, I figured I’d share the details with you—blow by blow (pun intended)!
1. Clean and detangle. As much as I like to say that my hair behaves better when dirty, and on some days this is true, a good blow-out is filled with volume, bounce and shine. Dirty hair is capable of none of the above.
2. Preserve and divide. One reason why I am able to go from straight to curly, and back around again, is because I prep my hair for the trauma I am about to heap upon it. The beauty supply store shelves are overflowing with heat protectants and smoothers that will allow your tresses to glow all while preserving that gorgeous curly texture you also cherish. Once you’ve protected your hair, it’s a great idea to separate your curls and tackle one section at a time to minimize your drying time.
3. Dry-me. The most important part of a blow-out is… the dryer. DUH! Invest in a good professional-like dryer with a hot and cold setting with attachments that your arms will later hug you for. Your blow dryer determines how straight you can get those curls. Dry your hair from root to tip, then switch your dryer to the cool setting to fight unwanted frizz. Your chances for heat damage are lessened when you start with straighter roots.
4. Put some heat to it. Flat ironing your natural hair is tricky. Once your hair is blown out you don’t want to use excessive heat. I use this rule: one shampoo a week, with one flat iron connection a week. Remember that flat irons are not one size fits all and you will need to upgrade or downgrade according to the length of your hair. The right iron will reduce heat damage and is easier to maneuver. Remember to clean your iron after each use with lukewarm water and a cloth.
5. Wrap it up! Bonnets, butterfly clamps, and hair pins will become a close friend of yours. In order to retain this oh-so-fab blow out, you’ll need get those tresses under wraps (insert your laugh here). Pick your poison by either wrapping your hair, or pin-curling it. Then tie your hair down for the start of your beauty sleep.
6. Shine bright. The next morning your curls should be laid! Unwrap or unpin and add a little shine to finish.
Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair
1. Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair1 of 53
2. Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow + Restore ConditionerSource:Walmart 2 of 53
3. Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl + Style MilkSource:Walmart 3 of 53
4. Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia Leave in Conditioner 8.5 Oz4 of 53
5. Miss Jessie's Quick Curls5 of 53
6. Eden Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Oil6 of 53
7. Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Sulfate-Free ShampooSource:Walmart 7 of 53
8. Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey Shine PomadeSource:Walmart 8 of 53
9. Hair Rules Quench Conditioner9 of 53
10. Kinky Curly Knot Today10 of 53
11. Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Leave-In MoisturizerSource:Walmart 11 of 53
12. Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls12 of 53
13. Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner13 of 53
14. Shea Terra Organics Argan and Ghassool Shampoo Bar14 of 53
15. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner15 of 53
16. As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing ConditionerSource:Walmart 16 of 53
17. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil ShampooSource:courtesy of Organix 17 of 53
18. Curl Junkie Honey Butta Leave In Conditioner18 of 53
19. EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi All Natural Conditioner19 of 53
20. Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner20 of 53
21. Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine Shampoo21 of 53
22. Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo22 of 53
23. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo23 of 53
24. Motions Hair Naturally You Products24 of 53
25. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In ConditionerSource:Cantu 25 of 53
26. Cantu Shea Butter Twist And Lock GelSource:Cantu 26 of 53
27. Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming ShampooSource:courtesy of Beautiful Textures 27 of 53
28. Beautiful Textures Moisture ButterSource:courtesy of Moisture Butter 28 of 53
29. Ojon Damage Reverse ShampooSource:courtesy of Ojon 29 of 53
30. Ojon Damage Reverse ConditionerSource:courtesy of Ojon 30 of 53
31. OBIA Curl Hydration SpraySource:OBIA 31 of 53
32. Ouidad Heat and Humidity GelSource:courtesy of Ouidad 32 of 53
33. Giovanni All-Natural Hair Styling Mousse Air-Turbo Charged33 of 53
34. Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing GelSource:Ouidad 34 of 53
35. AG Re:coil35 of 53
36. Curly Hair Solutions Curl KeeperSource:Curly Hair Solutions 36 of 53
37. Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme LiteSource:Curl Junkie 37 of 53
38. Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue38 of 53
39. Tigi Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier39 of 53
40. Aussie Moist Shampoo40 of 53
41. Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist Gel41 of 53
42. Moroccanoil Hydrating ShampooSource:Moroccanoil 42 of 53
43. Moroccanoil Hydrating ConditionerSource:Moroccanoil 43 of 53
44. Moroccanoil Hair TreatmentSource:Moroccanoil 44 of 53
45. Softsheen Carson Optimum Amla Legend Billion Hair Potion45 of 53
46. Agadir Oil Hair Treatment46 of 53
47. Mixed Chick Leave-In Conditioner47 of 53
48. Yarok HairSource:yarokhair.com 48 of 53
49. Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Conditioner49 of 53
50. WEN Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing ConditionerSource:ChazDean.com 50 of 53
51. Keracare Humecto Creme Conditioner51 of 53
52. Jane Carter Solution All Natural Nourish and Shine for Dry Hair and Dry SkinSource:Jane Carter Solution 52 of 53
53. Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Co-Wash ConditionerSource:Pantene/Pantene.com 53 of 53
MORE ON STYLE & BEAUTY: