While I absolutely adore my curls and get a kick out of finding new ways to wear them, my blow-outs warrant affectionate head turns from the opposite sex and give pause to a few girls who didn’t want to look my way to begin with.
Most are amazed because I am quick to confess that I do them right over my tiny bathroom sink. But the unbelievable part is certainly that it usually takes me less than 20 minutes. Which in my style book, makes it the best blow-out ever! Since I love you beauties, I figured I’d share the details with you—blow by blow (pun intended)!
1. Clean and detangle. As much as I like to say that my hair behaves better when dirty, and on some days this is true, a good blow-out is filled with volume, bounce and shine. Dirty hair is capable of none of the above.
2. Preserve and divide. One reason why I am able to go from straight to curly, and back around again, is because I prep my hair for the trauma I am about to heap upon it. The beauty supply store shelves are overflowing with heat protectants and smoothers that will allow your tresses to glow all while preserving that gorgeous curly texture you also cherish. Once you’ve protected your hair, it’s a great idea to separate your curls and tackle one section at a time to minimize your drying time.
3. Dry-me. The most important part of a blow-out is… the dryer. DUH! Invest in a good professional-like dryer with a hot and cold setting with attachments that your arms will later hug you for. Your blow dryer determines how straight you can get those curls. Dry your hair from root to tip, then switch your dryer to the cool setting to fight unwanted frizz. Your chances for heat damage are lessened when you start with straighter roots.
4. Put some heat to it. Flat ironing your natural hair is tricky. Once your hair is blown out you don’t want to use excessive heat. I use this rule: one shampoo a week, with one flat iron connection a week. Remember that flat irons are not one size fits all and you will need to upgrade or downgrade according to the length of your hair. The right iron will reduce heat damage and is easier to maneuver. Remember to clean your iron after each use with lukewarm water and a cloth.
5. Wrap it up! Bonnets, butterfly clamps, and hair pins will become a close friend of yours. In order to retain this oh-so-fab blow out, you’ll need get those tresses under wraps (insert your laugh here). Pick your poison by either wrapping your hair, or pin-curling it. Then tie your hair down for the start of your beauty sleep.
6. Shine bright. The next morning your curls should be laid! Unwrap or unpin and add a little shine to finish.
1. Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair1 of 50
2. Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia Leave in Conditioner 8.5 Oz2 of 50
3. Miss Jessie's Quick Curls3 of 50
4. Eden Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Oil4 of 50
5. Hair Rules Quench Conditioner5 of 50
6. Ouidad Heat and Humidity Gel6 of 50
7. Carol's Daughter Monoi Collection7 of 50
8. Carol’s Daughter Lisa’s Hair Elixir Fortifying Scalp Spray and Restoring Oil8 of 50
9. Kinky Curly Knot Today9 of 50
10. Beautiful Textures Naturally Straight Texture Manageability System10 of 50
11. Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls11 of 50
12. Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner12 of 50
13. Shea Terra Organics Argan and Ghassool Shampoo Bar13 of 50
14. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner14 of 50
15. Curl Junkie Honey Butta Leave In Conditioner15 of 50
16. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo16 of 50
17. Curls Unleashed Curl Defining Creme17 of 50
18. EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi All Natural Conditioner18 of 50
19. Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner19 of 50
20. Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine Shampoo20 of 50
21. Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo21 of 50
22. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo22 of 50
23. Motions Hair Naturally You Products23 of 50
24. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner24 of 50
25. Cantu Shea Butter Twist And Lock Gel25 of 50
26. Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Shampoo26 of 50
27. Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter27 of 50
28. OBIA Curl Hydration Spray28 of 50
29. Ojon Damage Reverse Shampoo29 of 50
30. Giovanni All-Natural Hair Styling Mousse Air-Turbo Charged30 of 50
31. Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Gel31 of 50
32. AG Re:coil32 of 50
33. Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper33 of 50
34. Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite34 of 50
35. Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue35 of 50
36. Tigi Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier36 of 50
37. Aussie Moist Shampoo37 of 50
38. Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist Gel38 of 50
39. Moroccanoil Shampoo39 of 50
40. Moroccanoil Hydrating Conditioner40 of 50
41. Moroccanoil Hair Treatment41 of 50
42. Softsheen Carson Optimum Amla Legend Billion Hair Potion42 of 50
43. Agadir Oil Hair Treatment43 of 50
44. Mixed Chick Leave-In Conditioner44 of 50
45. Yarok Hair45 of 50
46. Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Conditioner46 of 50
47. WEN Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner47 of 50
48. Keracare Humecto Creme Conditioner48 of 50
49. Jane Carter Solution All Natural Nourish and Shine for Dry Hair and Dry Skin49 of 50
50. Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Co-Wash Conditioner50 of 50
MORE ON STYLE & BEAUTY: