The film that garnered Halle Berry a Golden Globe nomination is finally being released in the U.S. In the highly anticipated movie, Frankie & Alice, Halle portrays a mentally ill stripper trying to find herself, her other identities, and the reason for her illness. I got a chance to preview the film and loved it. Here’s five reason why you should watch.
1. Halle’s performance: Her character Frankie is challenged by two identities: a scared 7-year-old girl named Genius and a bigoted, white southern belle named Alice. Playing a role where you take on three characters is a test of an actor’s skill. To watch Halle go in and out of each character was nothing short of remarkable. Genius was endearing and innocent, while Alice was clearly misguided and wounded.
2. Costume design: Although this is a solemn film highlighting the issues of mental illness, I could not help but notice the various styles from the 70’s, a period in fashion that I am infatuated with. From the delicate pink sequin gowns, to bold and gallant blush-worthy eyelashes–I’m totally swooning over Frankie’s (and Alice’s) closet.
3. A psychologist’s students dream: If you’re one of the blessed folks in the world tasked with helping individuals with mental illness, this movie is a beautiful case study for you and psychological drama lovers.
4. What mental illness was 30 years ago: Today we have medicine, therapy and perhaps even family members who understands what living with your mind on display to the world really feels like. Frankie, and many others in her time, was ridiculed and chastised for a condition she wasn’t even cognizant of, much less knew how to control. This film highlights what life would be like if no one cared about the voices in your head.
5. The melodies: Perfect for a rainy day or just when you want to be left alone, the soundtrack for Frankie & Alice is both charming and irresistible.
So, now that you know why you should check this film press play to watch the trailer and let me know in the comment section below if you’ll be catching this when it hits theaters on April 4, 2014.
1. Porsha Admits To Boob Job & Other Celebs Who Need To Stop Lying
Celebrities are known to change their looks all of the time, but Porsha Williams is the latest celeb to admit that her adjusted look is from a plastic surgeon. The "RHOA" star wore a low-cut gown that even shocked host Andy Cohen (http://bit.ly/1pmUUgm). We commend Porsha for at least admitting what we ALL see. Let's hope these other celebs do the same. Come on, people, stop lying!
T.I.'s wife went on "The Wendy Williams Show" and spilled the beans on her surgically enhanced boobs and tush (http://bit.ly/1ha2bKu).
3. NeNe Leakes
NeNe is the primary example of an ordinary person going straight to a doctor to get pulled, tucked and shaped once they get that first fame check. The reality show star even took "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" cameras to her nose job appointment.
4. Tamar Braxton
Tamar is not ashamed of her affinity to plastic surgery and talked about her nose job in countless interviews, but the "Love And War" singer looked cuter *before* the knife.
5. Toni Braxton
Like her sister Tamar, Toni also got a few minor adjustments on her face. She admits to a nose job and slight face lift, but says she doesn't plan on taking it too far. Hopefully, that means she's done.
6. Lil' Kim
We miss the hip hop pioneer killing her verses on some of hip hop's biggest songs ("All About The Benjamins," anyone?) and we also miss her original face. We don't even want to think about how many surgeries she has at this point, but she's becoming unrecognizable.
7. Nicki Minaj
The rapper, who many say are just as fake as Lil' Kim, has gotten numerous surgeries since earning some cash and fame. We know she's gotten surgery on her butt, boobs and maybe her face, but we hope she doesn't go any further.
8. Kim Kardashian
Don't you remember when Kim first came on the scene as the sexy Armenian girl? Well, after a few nose surgeries and some botox, Kim's Armenian features are harder to see.
9. Kris Jenner
Of course Kim gets it from her mama (the love for nip tucking, that is). One of the best parts of "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" is seeing their home videos and seeing Kris back in the day, before Kim's sextape fame, has us thinking how much better she looked back then. Now, she just looks scary with her numerous botox injections.
10. Dawn Richard
Fans fell in love with Dawn when she first burst onto the scene as a "Danity Kane" member. But, a few bloggers and the same fans on Twitter and Instagram called her out on the slimmer nose they saw in a series of photos she posted from a shoot.
11. Jada Pinkett Smith
Mrs. Smith always had a slim figure, but as she got older, we noticed how high her cheekbones got.
12. Kelly Rowland
Both Kelly and Michelle were known in "Destiny's Child" for their slimmer figures. After breaking free from the group, Kelly got a boob job and she's said she has no regrets about about her new C-cup chest.
13. Patti Labelle
Yep, even Ms. Patti went under the knife! The singer openly admits to her nose job.
14. Janet Jackson
The iconic singer and actress is a Jackson, and we all know the Jacksons' affinity to plastic surgery. Janet has gotten more than one adjustment on her face and body.
15. La Toya Jackson
The fifth child of the Jackson family has also gotten several facial adjustments. We could barely recognize this picture of La Toya from 1981 without her nose job and numerous face lifts.
We can't help but notice that the singer has been rocking a different kind of look. She's sporting a new short 'do, but also a skinnier nose.
17. Elise Neal
The "Hustle & Flow" actress has always been a sexy actress, but she did admit to getting breast implants for a curvier shape.
Ok we know Ciara is a grown mamma-to-be now, but even before she was expecting her chest magically got much bigger than it was in her "Goodies" days.
19. Wendy Wiliams
Wendy is known to embrace the less, ahem, natural side of fame. Her love of wigs is well known known, her nose has changed shape and she's also pretty vocal about her her liposuction and tummy tucks.
20. Vivica Fox
The "Two Can Play That Game" actress has always been the sexy woman next door to us, but whatever she's doing to her face these days is actually making her look strange. Leave it alone!
21. Tyra Banks
The iconic supermodel advocated heavily for young girls to accept themselves. But, Tyra may have gotten a slight nose job for a little confidence boost.
22. Tina Knowles
We all know Beyonce is the Queen, but Mama Knowles is perched as well! Ms. Tina shares the spotlight with her daughter, so it would only be natural to get a little face lift to keep things, er, perky? no?
23. Naya Rivera
The "Glee" star recently posted this pic of her and fiance Big Sean on the beach and had many of her fans calling her out for (presumably) having a boob job. We're just wondering when she had time to recover? Dang, girl.